Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I got a 97 and a 02 taurus who's cruise controls aren't working. Originally, the horn wasn't working for both cars either. But i found the blown fuses and replaced them. But I can't seem to find the fuse for the cruise controls. Does anybody have any idea where they are? The fuses that I located, based on the owner's manual, are all working. Can anybody help?

Also if it is not the fuse, is there any other reason why the cruise would be not working? This seems like a common problem on the tauruses.

Thanks
Yiran

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would try to find out if the braklights are still working. There's a TSB about faulty brake light switches. Because if the switch fails, the cruise control doesn' work either.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The break lights are working the last time I checked. But i will check again. Are there any other possibilities?

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I find it very odd that both cars don't work. Did you happen to run through a deep puddle and submerge parts of the wiring?

JR

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No i didn't drive these through a puddle. But I did buy both from auction. Everything on the cars work well except this stupid cruise control.

By the way, do u guys know which fuse on the 97 and 02 taurus control the cruise control circuitry?

Yiran

·
Registered
116 Posts
The wiring diagram in my Haynes manual says the cruise control is supplied by two fuses: fuse #6 15amp (marked BK LPS A/C) and fuse #28 15amp (marked STOP LAMPS). Both are located on the under dash fuse panel.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
colud be the Clock spring is bad....its the connecting device in the steering wheel column.

Itmay have broke, and occasionally shorts, causing the hrn fuse to blow.

or it May not be, because the horn in run through the cruide module, so you may want to check for bad/shorted connections ar the cruise module on the drivers strut tower. This would alos cause the problems you describe.

Brad

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Curiously, (i didn't realize this until today) after I replaced the fuse for the horn, the cruise control on my 97 taurus is working now!!! However, it still doesn't work on the 2002 taurus. :( This is really weird.

Another issue is where can I get fuse replacements? I went to autozone and they say they don't carry it. They suggest dealer. But everything associated with dealer has a big dollar sign on it. Any suggestion as to where I can find some replacements without going to see the dealer? (The replacements that came with the fusebox cover were used up).

Thankx

·
Registered
16 Posts
cruise not working

Go to this post to learn out how to put car into self diagnostic mode for cruise control.

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-maintenance-repair/132145-cruise-control.html

I did this and got 3 red flashes. So it was the brake pedal deactivator switch. Be aware that there are 2 switches for brake: one with the plunger which is the cruise control deactivator switch and a microswitch attached directly to the brake pedal itself. The plunger stile deactivator switch will wear it's contact over time and need replaced. On my Taurus (2000 model year) the plunger switch was NOT adjustable (unless you consider bending the bracket an adjustment, and I do NOT suggest doing that.)

The deactivator switch can be removed by first pushing the tab down on the top of the electrical connector, then pull the connector out. Next, rotate the switch counterclockwise 45 degreesand you should feel it come loose. This will allow the switch to be removed from the diagnal slotted hole.

Also, you may want to consider cleaning the switches muonted to the steering wheel (on, off, set, coast, resume) Info is here:

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-maintenance-repair/167415-cruise-control-switches.html

When poping switches out from face of steering sheel, put small screwdriver between edge of softer portion of steering wheel and the outer hard black plastic portion of switch. Switches easily pop out from wheel as an an assembly . You can then take the switches apart further and clean grime out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts