Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 1996, 3.0 OHV Vulcan engine. 175k. Overheated on daughter. Not sure if overheated and then leaked or leaked and then overheated....but antifreeze pouring out of front passenger side of engine even when car is off ...quite a ways below vlalve cover. (picture attached). Don't know if its probable head gasket, or perhaps, overly hopeful, freeze plug? Or other issue? Any insights would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Have a 1996, 3.0 OHV Vulcan engine. 175k. Overheated on daughter. Not sure if overheated and then leaked or leaked and then overheated....but antifreeze pouring out of front passenger side of engine even when car is off ...quite a ways below vlalve cover. (picture attached). Don't know if its probable head gasket, or perhaps, overly hopeful, freeze plug? Or other issue? Any insights would be appreciated.
Perhaps a timing cover leak or waterpump? I can't really even tell what the picture is of. There's plugs on the sides of the head. Any lower and the timing cover/water pump would be the likely issue.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Since this is the side of the engine facing the front of the car, I would not suspect a waterpump or freezeplugs from the head. On that side there are freezeplugs in the block, but they sit low. This looks like water seeping from a blown headgasket. But make sure its not the freeze plug there, the picture is not conclusive.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks to you both for your responses. yes, the picture is from the front. I will dig around and see if there could be freeze plug in that area but I think you are right...they are lower. Another picture included here to give some better context as to where the leak is coming from.

Attachments

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Since this is the side of the engine facing the front of the car, I would not suspect a waterpump or freezeplugs from the head.
Opps, I misread this part of his post :lol2: :

antifreeze pouring out of front passenger side of engine even when car is off
I also agree, it looks like it's leaking from the head gasket.

Right above those three bolt holes on the left.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts