Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98, and my daughter has a 96 vulcan with AX4N trans. I'm doing her front struts, ball joints, inner/outer tie rods. I replaced her bottom trans pan with a newer style pan with reusable gasket a couple years ago. Her side pan seeps, and it looks like the trans has to be out to replace it?
Is this correct?

With all the parts out of the way I thought now might be a good time to just replace the CV shaft seals on the trans. I see the manual says to use a new cir clip.

Thanks for your thoughts

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
First, are you sure the transmission valve body gasket is leaking?

Transmission fluid can blow all over the place because of the engine compartment airflow at speed.

If it is the gasket -- it's possible to replace this with the transmission in the car: http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-maintenance-repair/165257-valve-body-cover-gasket-transmission-fix.html

and
http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/98-solutions-common-problems-how-articles/91101-how-i-repaired-ax4n-tranny.html (but the pictures are gone)

search for "valve body replacement" for better hits...

·
Registered
797 Posts
As far as the Circ clip goes you should be fine reusing the old one as long as it is not bent or developed a burr on it.

Make sure you put some oil on it when reinstalling. I have used transmission fluid or light engine oil.

I recently tired to buy circ clips and they were a dealer item. Not many Dealers carried them in my region. They come in packages of 4 and I think it was about 6 dollars. They are available should you want to use a new one. If the old shaft is very hard to remove it may be a clue that the clip has a burr or is deformed.

The Cardone website gave a brief description of how to install a new circ clip on the half shaft and how to install the half shaft into the tranny to reduce any possible circ clip damage. I don't have the link but I am sure you can find it easy enough.

Good Luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts