Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my *new to me* 96 taurus and it faild the emissions test. Well, it passed the test, but gave some DTC codes, so I failed. As far as I know the car has a clean record (as stated by my best friend who gave me the car) and just had all the belts and hoses checked/replaced. Here are the codes that the OBD gave:

P0133 ~ Upstream heated O2 sensor circuit slow response (Bank 1)
P0401 ~ EGR insufficient flow detected
P0420 ~ Catalyst system efficiency below threshold (Bank 1)
P0430 ~ Catalyst system efficiency below threshold (Bank 2)
P1131 ~ Manufacturer Controlled fuel and air metering

So, my reasoning (mind you I'm new to all this) is that the Bank 1 upstream O2 sensor may be bad, and that would cause P0133, P0420, and P1131. And with a swap of my EGR valve would take care of P0401. I considered that there may be a vacuum leak, but can't find any evidence of that.

If anyone has any ideas or experience with this please let me know. I've been driving around with a "Rejected" inspection sticker because of all this. Are these easy problems to fix myself, or should I count my losses and just go to a repair shop?

Thanks if advance everyone! Y'all have no idea how much this forum has helped me already!

Thanks for the help everyone!

::EDIT:: I've also read about the DPFE having problems (which will effect the EGR). Not sure if this could be the cause of my other problems, or whether I have a bigger problem.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
on the DPFE, its the sensor, not the valve. The valves are indestructable, the sensors are alomost a 95% falure rate withing 100k miles. So replace the sensor ($80 and under 45min). As for the other issues, id reccmend changing the o2 sensor (or maybe both upstream sensors.)

Good Luck!

Brad

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Brad, I'll try replacing the DPFE....

as far as the O2 sensor, does anyone know which on is Bank 1 (I really hope it's the one in the front) because I will start with that one....

And would a bad upstream O2 sensor cause a Catalytic efficiency code?

I'm on my way outside to check the throttle body and MAF area of the intake for obstructions as well.

And it just occured to me (it may be my imagination) but I does seem that there is some very light surging around 2k rpm. Could this be related to any of my forementioned codes, or something completely different?

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
could cause a code, it uses the upstream to compare to the downstream, so if the upstreem is low, that code will be thrown.

Brad

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Bank 1 is the front set. The Upstream is 1 and the downstream is 2, so 1,1 is front, upstream; 1,2 is front, downstream.

JR

B

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Oct 5 2004, 09:10 PM
Bank 1 is the front set. The Upstream is 1 and the downstream is 2, so 1,1 is front, upstream; 1,2 is front, downstream.

JR
Incorrect. Bank one will always be the bank with cylinder #1 on it, which in our case for all engines is the rear bank.

I know, holy old post batman....

I'm searching for solutions to some problems, and ran across this.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Jesus Bob...I can't believe you resurrected this thread after 2 YEARS!

Yeah, I've since learned that the rear bank is bank 1...sometimes I need an old fart to keep me honest! :fart:

:lol:

JR

1 - 7 of 7 Posts