Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am trying to help out my sis to get her 96 Taurus back on the roads. I'm trying to replace the waterpump. Now in Chilton manual, it said the 15mm bolt on the tensioner pulley will loosen the slack on the belt.

I have really pulled the grunt on the 15mm bolt but it will not budge, short of using a cheater pipe to get more leverage. I'm afraid to strip the bolt if I use more force. Am I working on the right bolt?

Also I saw 3 lines on the tensioner with an arrow. Im assuming that's the indicator for the belt? Were should the arrow point for a good belt? As you can see, mine is pointing at the 3rd line, towards the front

thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a similar post re my new for me 2007 Taurus. I have a two foot long Schley tool I used on my 92 Sable to move tensioner. It is very slim and fits in tight spaces and with two feet a lot of leverage.

As I mention the 15mm end seems to fit on my 2007 Taurus tensioner. Some responses to my post mention Autozone tool. If I did not have my current tool I would look into that tool. You might wish to look at it. You really need a long handle for some leverage. And the space is tight especially if you don't remove the coolant overflow tank.

I wish a chilton manual was available for my 2007 taurus.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hello. I am trying to help out my sis to get her 96 Taurus back on the roads. I'm trying to replace the waterpump. Now in Chilton manual, it said the 15mm bolt on the tensioner pulley will loosen the slack on the belt.

I have really pulled the grunt on the 15mm bolt but it will not budge, short of using a cheater pipe to get more leverage. I'm afraid to strip the bolt if I use more force. Am I working on the right bolt?

Also I saw 3 lines on the tensioner with an arrow. Im assuming that's the indicator for the belt? Were should the arrow point for a good belt? As you can see, mine is pointing at the 3rd line, towards the front

thanks
Pull towards you like you would be trying to tighten the bolt, it's a very strong spring inside, it'll move.

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,405 Posts
I agree with the last poster...the tensioner bolt..DOES NOT LOOSEN...it is the entire tensioner that moves when you push it away from the belt.

The autozone tool works great for this.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Yeah, from the looks of your picture the tensioner pulley need to move ccw or towards the back of the car. To loosen mine I just clamped a large pair of vice-grips on a 15mm open end wrench and used that! GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
12 Posts
There should be a decal right in front of you when you open the hood that shows which bolt to get on and which way to turn it to release the tension on the belt. There was on the older Ford vehicles anyway.

·
Registered
23,363 Posts
To loosen belt tension, turn it clockwise with $10-15 serp. belt removal tool from harbor freight tools. To remove the pulley from the vehicle, turn counterclockwise. Another option to remove the belt is to loop a shop rag or towel under top portion and lift and slide the belt off the top pulley.

·
Registered
697 Posts
The wrench force is directed as if

you are tightening the bolt (clockwise) on the tensioner pulley.

Think of it this way, if you were to apply force in a counter-clockwise direction, you would loosen the pulley bolt.

If you need to replace the pulley, you would use that same wrench except apply force CCW.

You would then have some retightening to do of the retaining bolt until the tensioner moves to replace the belt.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Isn't it nice the way Ford put that big old A/C coupler right in front of it? :rolleyes2:

·
Registered
23,363 Posts
If thats the case, just turn the bolt counterclockwise to remove the pulley then remove the tensioner. Or, lift belt up and off with a shop rag or towel looped under the top section of it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts