Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to have a 91 Infiniti Q45 with a timing chain. Tried to start it one day, but it sounded a little odd while cranking, like clanking or thunking. Turned out the timing chain guides (plastic!) broke and threw the timing chain off and destroyed the engine.

I now have a 96 Taurus with the 3.0 Vulcan, and I tried to start it this morning (have not been having any problems), and thought I heard a similar sound while cranking. I immediately stopped trying. Is this engine what they call an interference engine or no?

Thanks alot.

Tom

G

·
Originally posted by sundarpn@Apr 11 2004, 08:26 PM
wats an interference engine?
If a valve is stuck in full open position, depending if it will hit the piston or not determines if it is interference or non-interference.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Originally posted by Tom@Apr 11 2004, 08:48 PM
I used to have a 91 Infiniti Q45 with a timing chain. Tried to start it one day, but it sounded a little odd while cranking, like clanking or thunking. Turned out the timing chain guides (plastic!) broke and threw the timing chain off and destroyed the engine.

I now have a 96 Taurus with the 3.0 Vulcan, and I tried to start it this morning (have not been having any problems), and thought I heard a similar sound while cranking. I immediately stopped trying. Is this engine what they call an interference engine or no?

Thanks alot.

Tom
So Infiniti was using plastic chain guides too eh? And people are getting mad at Ford for going cheap in our SOHC engines...
So Japan can skirt away with these cheap solutions and America can't? Ugh!

Glad you got yourself a real engine. I have a friend with a '92 Q45 and it's nothing but problems too. Mostly electrical, but the charging system is very weak also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts