Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm having an issue with a low vibration/humming noise when backing up with my foot on the gas in my 96 GL Wagon OHV/AX4N. I recently completed several repairs on it, including a new y pipe, valve body solenoids, as well as passenger side drive shaft, ball joint, tie rod end and wheel bearing. I just got it from my aunt last month, my cousin got t-boned in it and the shop that fixed it did a complete hack job of a repair. The passenger side front end was replaced with worn junk yard parts that I replaced with new. The old half shaft boot was torn and spewing grease everywhere. Anyway, it made this noise before I fixed everything, and now it still does it. If I'm backing up without giving it gas, it's perfectly fine. As soon as I give it a little gas, it makes a noise I can only describe as a low hum/groan coming from the front end that is continuous until I let off the gas.

I have no issues in drive, I can go 80 mph without any shakes or noises. Just in reverse. Could it be the other driveshaft? I believe it's original, car has 104,000 miles. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
My initial thought was motor mounts, but after you described all the accident damage I would bet the exhaust in hitting somewhere.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts