Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I didn't do the work. The tranny needs to come pout and the gears and chain are behind the TC. Only one gear and the chain are needed. The '96 Windstar has the gearset you need.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Originally posted by mobiuslogic@Feb 1 2004, 03:57 AM
Here's How:

Haynes Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable Repair Manual 1996-2001; page 7-1
These models use one of two electronic 4-speed automatic transaxles; the AX4N and the AX4S....  To identify which transaxles is in your vehicle, look on the identification tag attacted to the top of the bellhousing....The end cover and the oil pan on some transaxles are stamped AXOD, which is an older name for the AX4S; the two are identical.  (I have a 2000 and mine even says AXOD)

Shifting on these transaxles is controlled electronically.  Utilizing data from the network of information sensors, the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) determines the best shift point for the particular driving situation.  Shifts occur when the PCM grounds the electronic shift solenoids inside the transmission.  No vacuum controls, TV cables, or other mechanical devices are employed.
Now for all that in english.
What that means is that there is nothing mechanical that you need to "fool" into keeping the tranny in 2nd gear, or any other for that matter. Everything is electronic, and that makes this idea 10x easier. There are no valve bodies, throttle cables, or anything else to have to monkey with. Now if you look on pages 12-23 to 12-25 you'll see the schematic of the PCM system. If you hardwired into wires 3/7(PPL/ORG) for shift solenoid #2, wire 4/8(ORG/YEL) for shift solenoid #1, and wire 6/10 (PNK/BLK) for shift solenoid #3, you could manually operate the transaxle and override the PCM and would only have to shift into OD (because all gears would be available in OD). A couple issues though....

1) You would have no idea about if the PCM includes a delay time between shifts.
2) Logic would say that when the PCM grounds shift solenoid 1, it would shift to 2nd gear, #2 for 3rd, and #3 for OD (torque converter clutch TCC is independent meaning you could hardwire that also so you could have OD but no locked up TCC), however.......
3) What about downshifts and reverse?
4) The gear selector has NOTHING mechanically associated with the transaxle (besides the PARK locking pin). All it does is move an arm that moves a variable resistor that the PCM reads as the transaxle range/gear (R, N, OD, D, 1).
5) You have to throw out idea #2 because you have SIX gears and only 3 solenoids (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, N, and Reverse). Now logically if you have no solenoids powered, it should default to N. That one's easy. The trouble is which solenoids need to activate to give you the particular gear? And more importantly, which ones do you NOT want to activate because you'll eat the tranny?

So, here would be your plan of action....
Hardwire with relays into the 3 shift solenoids and a switch directly onto the TCC solenoid. For the TCC, the switch HAS to be ON for the TCC to lock up, otherwise it gets no power. This would be good for having 4th gear with no TCC. It leaves the computer the decision as to when to lock up the TCC, but you have a manual override over it. On the 3 relays (make sure they're low impedeance relays, you don't want to pull too much current away from the solenoid) and wire them into LEDs or lights so you'll have 1 light for each solenoid (labels her come in handy). Then as you drive the car, you can watch solenoids are active in what particular gears. You then can understand the shifting pattern of the tranny and then hardwire into the shift solenoids to manually control the shifting and take the PCM out of the equation. In looking at the schematic, there are no sensors that tell the PCM if it's fired the solenoid or not. It just goes for it and thinks the solenoid's doing it's job; however there may be programing in the PCM to check it.

Then once you have the LEDs wired in, you can modify it to have switches accompanying the LEDs to manually control everything.

NOW, how would you do all this? Instead of running tons of different wires, just run a single wire like a CAT 5 ethernet cable (8 wires, 4 pairs) or a 5 pair wire (you'll have a pair for back up). Then wire everything together into a control box of sorts that would not only give you manual control, but also give you a way to still let the computer work when you don't want to. Thus, you can control the shifting manually on the track, yet still not have to worry while you're driving to grandma's. Have fun.

-mobiuslogic [/b][/quote]
Not that I like saying you don't know what you are saying but you have no idea how your transmission functions or how to manipulate it.

The 3 shift solenoids function in the 1/0 position to achieve all 5 gears 1-4 + R

There is a chart in the Ford CD but I don't feel like getting it out right now.

The transmission takes data from half the sensors on the car to shift ie coolant temp, intake air temp, maf reading etc. It is not as easy as grounding a solenoid

There is one very quick cheap and simple method to keep the car in gear. Install a switch inline with the VSS when you get to 2nd flip the switch and kill the vss. The tach will stay working but the speedo will drop out and the car won't shift to 3rd. It may shift back down to 1st if you slow too much but I'm not sure when it may not be until the engine rpm drop way down below your current threshold.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
the gear selector has alot to do with what gear it is in!!!! lol

as for electronic control.....level ten performance has a module you plug in to get tiptronic control

Brad

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Originally posted by the_spy_guy@Feb 1 2004, 10:32 PM
as for electronic control.....level ten performance has a module you plug in to get tiptronic control
Where? I looked on their website and didn't see anything for the taurus.

And Pat, wtf is your problem with me? Huh? Seriously? What's your beef?
The 3 shift solenoids function in the 1/0 position to achieve all 5 gears 1-4 + R[/b]
I said that. Also Crazy, 1/0 is binary for ON/OFF.
Almost exactly what I said. And yes the car takes readings from many different sensors to determine when to shift. However it takes those readings for the purpose of longevity and confort to the car and the occupants, and they all become irrelevant with a tiptronic system, whether it be a factory system, aftermarket, or custom built.

As for the VSS, that sounds like bad news too me and will likely throw a code or a CEL. Even with the tiptronic system the PCM has all it's sensors, you just have an override over them vs. the PCM.

-mobiuslogic

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
OK, let me just kinda clarify where we are coming from....hopfully I can help.
I don't know about the VSS idea, although it does sound logical. First, disabaling the VSS, wouldn't that trigger a "limp in mode" condition? I don't reallty care about the speedo (obviously), but what I'm understanding is by disabaling the VSS the car would not shift into third (assuming it was in second gear at the time). If that's true, we have already acheived that, by reselecting "1" on the gear selector, locking it into second (the VSS sends the signal showing vehicle speeds in excess of 24MPH, disallowing 1st gear opperation, so it forces second gear operation.)
What I'm tring to accomplish is once the trans is in second, and the vehicle speed is ABOVE 24MPH, I want to be able to toggle the trans back into 1st gear, bringing RPMs up on corner exit. Then, allow it to reengage 2nd gear, lowering RPMs and allowing me to acheive maximum vehicle speed before entering the next turn. (Hope I didn't lose anyone yet
)
Also, by tripping the different solenoids, is that going to cause a "limp in mode" condition, and if so, does limp in have any effect on WOT, or just your daily driving ported throttle.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
God I hope i dont have to build another Caprice with a 305....

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Disabling the VSS may invoke a "limp home" mode because the PCM doesn't know if you're racing or driving to grandma's. It's programmed to be a daily driver, plain and simple. I don't know though. As for manually triggering the shift solenoids, it should not start a "limp home" mode because you are only manually doing what the PCM would be doing automatically.

-mobiuslogic

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Sounds logical... now to make it happen

·
Registered
263 Posts
Mobius I don't have a beef with you but you posted a full page of info that is not accurate.

Let's start a poll and see how many TCCA members with gen III cars have been driving down the highway doing speeds in excess of 60 mph and had the vss fail.

Wow as far as I know I am the only one. The car continues in the same gear unless the engine speed falls to critical low speed I assume. I let the car slow down because I didn't know what was going on and then everyone started to pass me so I kicked it down to speed up and nothing happenned. I lane changed across 3 lanes exited the highway. As I was coasting up the ramp the tranny downshifted one gear at a time. The when I tried to accelerate off the ramp it wouldn't up shift again.

It never set a code and it never went to limp home. I could floor it from a stop and it would run all the way up like it was going to shift but kept going because the computer couldn't make the shift discision.

You said the shift solenoids are 1 for 1st 2 for 2nd and 3 for 3rd. You didn't not say it was a seqence and do you want a hero cookie for using the word binary?

Here is a sample chart so you can see

1st gear 1 0 1
2nd gear 1 0 0
3rd gear 1 1 0
4th gear 0 1 0

This is a sample maybe Shoz123 or someone with a good knowledge of their Ford CD will be kind enough to post the real data so you can see.

I didn't say binary or use any other unnecsessary words to impress people because they aren't required to make my point I can do it in simple words.

Now stop taking my responses personally and keep the thread on topic.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
OK, I understand the chart and what i need to do now.
What about reverse engagement...
1st gear 1 0 1
2nd gear 1 0 0
3rd gear 1 1 0
4th gear 0 1 0
is it another combination of the chart above.
And Pat, when your speed sensor went out, did the speedo stop working?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Originally posted by Crazy_Brys_Auto@Feb 2 2004, 07:30 PM
OK, I understand the chart and what i need to do now.
What about reverse engagement...
1st gear 1 0 1
2nd gear 1 0 0
3rd gear 1 1 0
4th gear 0 1 0
is it another combination of the chart above.
And Pat, when your speed sensor went out, did the speedo stop working?
I said that was an example that chart doesn't mean anything.

And yes the speedo went out. But why would you need a speedo circle track racing?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Honest to god, a speedo is a good reference point on where to set your car in turns (when to apply brake and start to turn), if you notice an increase in speed mid turn, you know the track is "going away" in the groove your in...better find a new one. Also its a good refence point if you are far ahead or behind. Normaly guys use the tach, but seeing the speedo in a g-3 car is much larger and serves the same porpous...why not

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Here's the shift solenoid strategy for the AX4S. This is off the Ford CD. I couldn't make it any smaller or it would have gotten garbled up. This is off my 2000 CD, but Ford's been running EEC-V since 1996 (Gen 3) due to OBD-II regulations, so I'm 99.99% sure that these are the same.

-mobiuslogic

EDIT: Damn stuperford

Full Size Picture (56k OK)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
OK, let me see if I got this right...by theory.
If I hook up 2 way toggles yto the ssa, ans ssb solinoids (I wont bothere with 3rd and 4th gear), I would have to disconect the cable going to to the ssa solinoid, because I would still have the VSS sending a signal to the PMC, telling the trans that I was going above "the calibrated maximum speed". So If the SSA solinoid was completely disconected from the PCM, I would be able to just toggle between ON and OFF to obtain 1st, 2nd, 1st, 2nd (ect.) shifting (toggling between off for 1st and on for 2nd). If I left the PCM conected to the ssa solinoid, it would remain in the ON position (for second gear) untill I dropped below 24 MPH (calibrated speed)

So did I understand it right?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Originally posted by Crazy_Brys_Auto@Feb 4 2004, 06:58 AM
OK, let me see if I got this right...by theory.
If I hook up 2 way toggles yto the ssa, ans ssb solinoids (I wont bothere with 3rd and 4th gear), I would have to disconect the cable going to to the ssa solinoid, because I would still have the VSS sending a signal to the PMC, telling the trans that I was going above "the calibrated maximum speed". So If the SSA solinoid was completely disconected from the PCM, I would be able to just toggle between ON and OFF to obtain 1st, 2nd, 1st, 2nd (ect.) shifting (toggling between off for 1st and on for 2nd). If I left the PCM conected to the ssa solinoid, it would remain in the ON position (for second gear) untill I dropped below 24 MPH (calibrated speed)

So did I understand it right?
You don't believe me that messing witht he solenoids won't work?

Do I sound stupid or something? Why is it that people have such a hard time listening to me? I know what I am talking about.

You don't think that if messing with the solenoids was a viable way of gaining control of the transmission that someone would have built a electronic manual by now?

You go do what ever you think is best buddy but when your tranny pukes it's guts out don't come back here saying you weren't warned.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Hey, sorry man, I didn't say I don't belive you, or just ignored what you were saying. I'm not trying to hurt your feelings or say you aren't knowledgable.

What I'm saying is that every trans has a simple theory.. Rotational power input - rotation power output, reduced by gearing. There is a mechanical way that every trans works. Manual, auto...From the FMX, C6, AOD, to these creatures, they're the same concept. I don't care if they are manipulated mechanically, or electronically. All I'm trying to do is to MANUALLY manipulate my transmission. If a $100 PCM computer can do all 4 gears, I'm sure I can handle 1st and 2nd.
In short, the PCM has to, I mean HAS to have a signal to the trans to tell it what to do. All I'm doing is asking for assistance gathering the knowledge on how to do it. Everyone has been a great assistance so I thank EVERYONE, (yes even you Pat). I am taking everything you guys have posted into consideration. I'm not trying to cut anyone down or anything. But if I do implode a trans.... My fault, no elses. Hey, then everyone else can learn from my mistakes. But if it does work, anyone wanna buy a control box?

21 - 36 of 36 Posts