Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been told my oil leak is coming from the rear main seal. I have already had the sending unit replaced as they initially thought that was where the leak was coming from. I have been told that the main seal will be one of two ways on my car. The easier fix is if the oil pan and a portion of the rear main seal share the same gasket. The hard way is if they are seperate. How can I know which one I have? Additionally, any tips on what I should know to get this fixed would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Welcome.

I don't know much about the Duratec engine, but I doubt there is any kind of "sharing" of the rear seal with the oil pan gasket.

If it's the rear main seal, then you are probably looking at dropping the tranny to get at it.

Not sure if the Duratec is prone to oil leakage in that area...

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
The Haynes book on that year (I have the 96 LS) shows that the transaxle must be removed to get the rear seal on the Duratec. It's a one piece seal. Replacing it would be easy, after you get the transaxle out of the way. [The front can be replaced by pulling the crank pulley and damper.] I'm having an oil leak problem at the front seal area too so just looked up the procedure for both seals.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
Duratec...Oil Pan...right over Cat. Converters....= heat = pissed off seal = my synthetic leaking on converter = me smelling like a mobile mcdonalds. <_<

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
Originally posted by tmonster@Apr 18 2004, 07:08 PM
Duratec...Oil Pan...right over Cat. Converters....= heat = pissed off seal = my synthetic leaking on converter = me smelling like a mobile mcdonalds. <_<
Yes indeed, that's the scenario

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
Lets all complain to Ford....I'm sure they'll listen (not)

Its getting agrivating when I have to buy $4 quarts of oil just to make up for the stupid leak...I'm planning on doing mine soon, I'll let you know how big of a pain in the royal @$$ it is....I might cut off and install a new Cat. while I'm under there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for you quick responses. I talked with a local shop (not a dealer and they've been in the business 30 years with a good reputation) and am planning to take her in next week. I can see how the catalytic converter heat could be an issue. Too bad Ford doesn't think it is a big enough deal for a recall. (In my dreams.) Once again, thank you all for you feed back and when complete, I'll let you know what happened and what the financial damages are. That will make those of you who can "do it your self" feel pretty valuable I am sure!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts