Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am guessing that this is most likely a door switch that has gone bad. Do you have any suggestions as to how to narrow it down to which switch?

Also, the owner's manual is missing from this car, and I would like to temporarily pull the fuse that controls the interior lights until I get the problem fixed. Could someone tell me which fuse controls the interior lights, and what other systems it might effect?

·
Registered
870 Posts
this is a very common problem with the Taurus, it's been discussed on here many times before, you can find it under the Maintenance Section

·
Registered
10 Posts
You may not even have to replace the switch. When I had the problem I sprayed down all 4 latch assemblies (mine was the drivers door) about once a month for 3 months and haven't touched it for almost 2 years and have not had a reoccurance (knock on wood).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried spraying all locks/latches. It did not work. Any suggestions on how to proceed? I am guessing it is the driver's door, since it is the most used. Are the latches dealer-only parts, or could I get them from a parts store? How complicated is the replacement?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Originally posted by Saluki@Feb 20 2004, 12:36 PM
I tried spraying all locks/latches. It did not work. Any suggestions on how to proceed? I am guessing it is the driver's door, since it is the most used. Are the latches dealer-only parts, or could I get them from a parts store? How complicated is the replacement?
did you let it sit for a bit after applying wd-40 to the latches, in our 98 SE the light didn't go away immediately after using it, but after a while it stopped the door ajar light, we had had the problem for so long before I decided to give it a whirl that the light had already been removed from the housing to prevent draining the battery, but now there has been no door ajar signals sent unless the door really is open

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Have you tried cycling the panel dimmer switch which in my wagon is also the switch for the interior lights?
It's possible that a good spray of non residual electrical cleaner, while cycling it (with battery disconnected for some time to let it dry out) will fix the switch.
If it's not that switch then you need to start on the drivers door switch next.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Try spraying it with some electrical contact cleaner, I used a product called QD CONTACT CLEANER, I opened all four doors and sprayed all the latches really good, after waiting a few minutes I sprayed them with a good amount off WD40 , let it all drip out the bottom of the door, Closed all the door and then tested each door one at a time, and repeated which ever one I thought needed a little more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts