Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
Thank god for this site. Ok, here is my problem. I have a car that runs awsome that does not move anymore. The car is in great shape and we are keeping it.

1. The car is a 96 wagon with a 3.0 in it. I do not know if this was the beginning of the problem or not? Once in a while the car would shift hard from 1st to 2nd gear, like it had a shift kit in it almost.
  2. When the air was turned on the car would fall on its face starteing out from a dead stop. It had to be like floored for it to go. It would hesitate real bad then seams like it would catch and take off.
  3. Now for the big problem. I was driving the car and parked it. Got out for like 3 minutues got back in and started it up. Put it in reverse and it was fine. Put it in drive and it was fine. I started to turn to the left and it seemed like the car went into nuetral. The engine reved and the car did not go anymore. I stopped the car completely and put it in park. The only problem was that park did not work it just rolled down the little hill I was on. I put the e brake on and got out. The tranny fluid was full, clean and smelled great. I started the car up again and tried it. Nothing. I tried all gears and nothing. The tranny seamed like it was moving but the car was not going anywhere. The tranny was clicking like when plastic gears are not messing corrrectly. The speedometer moved up to 30 mph and stayed at 10 mph and would not stop I had to just turn the car off. Can anything be done to check and see what the problem is with the tranny still in the car.

Any help or links would be awsome. Thanks. If it needs a rebuild, any instructions and pics would be great. I will be rebuilding it myself.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
The fact that park does not work and the speedo reads something while the car is not moving indicates a problem with the drive axles or differential gears inside the tranny. I would first do an inspection of the axles and CV joints.

·
Super Moderator
8,625 Posts
The fact that park does not work and the speedo reads something while the car is not moving indicates a problem with the drive axles or differential gears inside the tranny. I would first do an inspection of the axles and CV joints.

+1 on checking axles / CV / tripod joints.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks, for the help. the pass. axle was broke. i replaced it and the car is as good as new.
thanks, again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts