Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 96 Sable 3L 24v Duratech has a horrible idle problem. When I first start it, it will not stay on unless I keep my foot on the gas.
After that, it idles really rough while parked or at a stop light but runs just fine when I drive. The mechanic that replaced my DPFE sensor and fixed my vacuum lines said that it needs a Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF).
It has code P0320

1. Does that sound right?
2. Will an Autozone MAF work?
3. What are the MAF calibration codes some guys talk about?

Please help if you have any info. I'm broke and confused.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Check the PCV valve and elbow under the intake. The elbow is prone to rot and can crack open.
Are there any codes?
On a side note, it's duratec, not duratech...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,
Do you mean under the intake manifold? Also, the check engine light is on but I don't know of any codes.

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
I would atlease try cleaning your MAF w/ MAF Cleaner before having it replaced. A dirty MAF will cause idling issues.

·
Super Moderator
8,722 Posts
Thanks,
Also, the check engine light is on but I don't know of any codes.
If the CEL is on, there are codes stored in the PCM. Have them read and report back.

When you say "idles rough", is it rough because the RPM is real low, or is the idle RPM correct but it still runs rough? If idle speed is low, suspect a failed / dirty IAC.

·
Registered
18 Posts
yea i think i got somewhat of the same problem, i have a 98 sable 3.0 duratec 24v... it starts up fine and drives fine but when i stop at a red light or stop sign the car just stalls on me... im gona try and clean the maf sensor and see what happens, hopefully thats it

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
x2 on cleaning MAF with CRC or any brand MAF cleaner. Do not use electrical cleaner, it will ruin in.

You can do to Autozone and pull out codes. They have an OBDII scanner they can lend you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
More bad news. Yesterday while I was driving it would stal at a light, but this time when I started it back up, it would hesitate and lurch forward. It wouldn't go over 25 mph. Then I let it sit for a few hours and it was back to normal almost. Except for that rough idle that surges up to 1,500 rpm and then shuts of at a light.
Autozone gave me codes of P0320

1 - 8 of 8 Posts