Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok...since i got the car a few days ago, its always had the O/D light flickering on/off constantly, i got the code pulled and its: P1784 - trans fault, 1st and reverse. its been driving perfectly fine since when i got it 10/13/04, i even test drove it a few days before that and it went perfectly fine in town and on the highway when we drove it for about 40min worth...anyways i went to sacramento and back last nite (combined total of about 90 miles) and it drove perfectly fine and dandy...i come to the car this afternoon (today) and drive to work, it drives fine for about a mile, and then my tranny decides it just wants to rev into 1st and 2nd....the fluid level is ok, the fluid is smelling fine....i dont get it? 1 of my co-workers suggested driving w\ O/D off, so i did and i drove it home w\ O/D off and it ran perfectly fine all the way back home....so im not sure....anyone have any clues? thanks! :(
PS - its a 96 Taurus LX, i just got this damn car (for $800.) my last car thats still sitting around is a 93 Probe GT and has the same prob...that tranny is gone...i dont want 2 cars w\messed up trannys to just be chillin at my house!!! my parents want the probe GONE! lol :(

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
c'mon...ANYONE?? im getting my tranny flushed and a new filter and fluid and gasket today....1 of the local tranny shops around here said it could be the failure of the pump...and since i got the car for 800$, i should just run it till it dies since its too much to replace the tranny (2500$ about) w\parts+labor :(

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no i didnt...it was from a friend...and the car was 800$....its basically a short term beater.....also i did a flush/filter/fluid change today and didnt help...good thing is...no metal at all in the pan or on the magnet at least :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have same tranny with problems. Mine is a shift solenoid or harness probelmm. This tranny appears to be notorious for bad wiring harness', I would check it out. In the maintenance forum there is a recent message with procedures for doing a full test of the harness

·
Registered
116 Posts
hey for the hell of it just go buy some lucas oil trans fix additive to see if it fixes any of you slipping, ive been using their oil stabiliser for a year now and its very good, used it in a older lawnmower that smoked when i got itm, now the mower doesn't smoke, i love their products , the trans fix stuff is about 7 dollars

1 - 8 of 8 Posts