Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys...im not a taurus owner just yet lol...but im lookign at my friend's 96 Taurus LX. here's the skinny on it:
96k miles
white
smoke free
good interior
O/D tranny service light comes on
no accidents
ive gotten him down to 800$ for it about, my only thing that bugs me is this is what he says.... the O/D light comes on......i dont know how to read that...is there anyway i can do a read myself w\out having to pull codes from ford or something? because on my 93 Probe GT, i can just jump some wires and record the # of times the light blinks and read it that way....he also says....when turning O/D off, tranny slips from neutral to 1st gear......anything u guys can recommend me taking a look at specifically? thanks! :notworthy:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by sundarpn@Oct 9 2004, 10:52 AM
welcome :)

how many miles?
96k on the whole car....i called up 1 of the autozones closest to me...they claimed he didnt know what i was talking about lol...jerk... <_< then i called another 1 2nd closest to me...theyll pull codes...so yea...i gotta get my friend to come w\me to pull some codes..i dunno if they do tranny, he said he could try ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok well i took a look at it this evening...dammmmn clean interior, some nice options, oil and tranny coolant were at an acceptable level, everything worked as far as electrical and accessories and all that jazz....was too late to check out how it drives...ill be doin that tomorrow afternoon...i really like the car and i love it for being 800$ the way it is lol, but tomorrow will tell and so will a carfax...BTW if anyone can do free full carfaxes, please let me know? :D if u guys can think of anything else as well specifically to look at, please lemme know...also im going to cehck the fluids after the car has been running for a while of course

G

·
The OD light should be setting a code for the torque converter lockup, which will show up when scanning for codes.

If this is the case, the converter is on it's way to meet it's maker, or it could be low on fluid.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok...would the O/D light come on and stay on right away after starting up the car...or would i have to drive it a little bit and then it would come on? im going to actually test drive it today

G

·
If the OD light is on constantly, that means the OD is turned off. If the OD light flashes, it indicates a problem.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well i drove it today....brakes are nice, tire tred is excellent...started up w\no hesitation, oil and tranny fluids were good and checked out... im going to get autozone to scan it tomorrow...hes going to get paper work and smog it ready for me tomorrow...still this is a damn good beater for the price... $800 lol...its pretty much what a dealer wanted to give him for a trade in...so i saw that and offered and he said ok :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts