Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honestly I have baby knowledge about cars. To avoid vague languages, I searched the posts in the forum and think I'd better to reproduce the terms that already widely used. I'd appreciate your patience.

I got my 1996 GL 3.0 sedan (should be Vulcan) in 2005 and have regular maintenances (most of them were done at one of Ford dealers in local). It now has 66000 miles on it. It's been running well until last weekend. On that day, I felt the car was running with a little bit "rhythmic" shaking, and also I felt power loss that was when accelerating it didn't speed-up with the same power as it did before. Besides these, it was an OK ride. Then I stopped by a grocery store. After I finished shopping, I started the car. The car first sounded normal but the Service Engine Soon Light was on and then all the sudden the RPMs dropped to zero. The electricity was still on but the engine seemed dead at idle. That situation had never happened before. Then, I tried several times to re-start it. I finally got once with no "service engine soon" light and the engine didn't die. I quickly drove back home (on my way back home, the "service engine soon" light kept off) and have not touched the car since.

Based on my readings of the past posts with similar issues, I sense that the problem could be "worst scenario".
I do love this car and have a lot of good memories with it. But I am not capable to fix it myself. Of course I also don't want to be robbed by the mechanics either. So here are my questions:

1) what would it cost to fix it, from possible scenarios, in a reasonable mechanic setting?
2) would the car be vulnerable after the problem is fixed?
3) if you were in my shoes, what would make you decide to give it up without fixing?

Thanks a lot in advance for any of your help!

·
Registered
65 Posts
You need to stop by an auto parts store and have them hook an OBDII scanner to the port under the steering wheel. The store should do it for free. Write down the codes and post them. Could be any number of things and not necessarily expensive to fix.

-GH

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
These symptoms sound very similar to an EGR Valve/DPFE sensor problem. If you get the codes retrieved from your car, P0401 and P0402 would signify an EGR problem.

If this is the problem, it is common on cars similar to yours and is quite easy to fix.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks much, Grant and mikeo007! I will try a local auto parts store and get the codes. And will update once I get them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts