Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 96 LX with the Duratec with 157,000 on it and until now has been an awesome car that given me no trouble. Well lately at startup time it feels like its going to kill and sometimes does, but always starts again. Sounds like this is a common problem with these cars. Sounds like its some kind of hose (pcv?). Wondering how much that would be to fix. Also noticed the anti-freeze level is low and after I top it off it always gets low again with no puddle underneath. Also when parked for any amount of time while idling the heat begins to smell badly of burning anti-freeze...this doesn't seem good. Is it a head gasket out? How much would that run to fix or would it even be worth fixing considering the age and the mileage. Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I don't think it's worth it to pull the heads and put in a new head gasket.

I do have a Duratec with 112K for sale, if you're interested. It would likely be easier to drop a replacement engine in, rather than pull the heads and change the gasket.

JR

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
I've got a 96 LX with the Duratec with 157,000 on it and until now has been an awesome car that given me no trouble. Well lately at startup time it feels like its going to kill and sometimes does, but always starts again. Sounds like this is a common problem with these cars. Sounds like its some kind of hose (pcv?). Wondering how much that would be to fix. Also noticed the anti-freeze level is low and after I top it off it always gets low again with no puddle underneath. Also when parked for any amount of time while idling the heat begins to smell badly of burning anti-freeze...this doesn't seem good. Is it a head gasket out? How much would that run to fix or would it even be worth fixing considering the age and the mileage. Thanks for your help!
[/b]

failed headgaskets are not common to the Duratec. If you smell coolant through the vents, you have a failing heater core. The collapsed PCV hose is a common failure, and may be the reason yours is starting and dieing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna have it checked out by a mechanic buddy but i think I may just drive the car till it dies. I've got some pretty good rust starting and I don't think its worth putting a new engine in.

any idea how much it is to replace the heater core?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts