Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states, the A/C clutch won't engage on my '96 Taurus GL. When you turn on the A/C nothing happens. Fans don't come on, clutch doesn't engage. I also tried bypassing the low pressure switch. I'm assuming I have a faulty CCRM, but was wondering if anyone had any other ideas.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Have you checked the pressure to see if any gas is in it?

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah. Just replaced the compressor, accumulator and orifice. Pulled vacuum, held for 45 minutes. System is tight. Went to charge the system, got about 8 oz in. Need to get the compressor turning to finish filling it. Clutch will not engage. Bypassed low pressure switch. Still no luck. Also, as stated above the fans won't come on either when I turn on the A/C. I have quite a bit of experience repairing A/C systems and I'm 99% sure it's a bad CCRM. I just wanted to bounce my observations off everyone else to make sure I'm not overlooking anything. It's not exactly a cheap part.

·
Registered
159 Posts
You're probably right. Its now turned into an electronic issue. I have had quite a bit of experience with the A/C on my '99 Sable as well. The only issue I have is related to the ambient temp. You see, up here it gets pretty cold in the winter. The A/C isn't supposed to function below 10c/50f, and when I go to use the defrost on the coldest days, like -35c/-31f, the fans come on and the clutch engages. I obviously don't want cold air at -35c, i need heat!

Your problem may be the opposite of my situation, although it may be related to the CCRM as you say.

I don't recall hearing about a history of faulty CCRM's on the gen.3. Gen.1 was notorious for the relay modules burning out, but they revised that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts