Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...

Going to be replacing my water pump and thermostat as preventative maintenance next weekend.

I know about the shop rag trick to remove the belt...so if I take an old under shirt, wrap around the belt and tug I can slip the belt off with ease?

On the DOHC it looks like the water pump has some reverse mounted Torx (?) bolts holding it to the side of the block? I finally found where Ford hid the thermostat. Convenient location, thanks Ford! Does anyone know if the Motorcraft pump includes a new gasket?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hey guys...

Going to be replacing my water pump and thermostat as preventative maintenance next weekend.

I know about the shop rag trick to remove the belt...so if I take an old under shirt, wrap around the belt and tug I can slip the belt off with ease?
Once they put a belt 3/4 inches too short and I had a hard time getting it off.

I believe AutoZone tool rental program includes a serpentine belt removal tool. Our cars uses the 15 mm socket. I bought the tool for like $15 from Harbor Freight.

I finally found where Ford hid the thermostat. Convenient location, thanks Ford!
Can you take a few pictures when you are at it? I want to know where it is as well.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I guess I'll pick the tools up from AZ. Good call.

Most definitely I'll take some pictures.

My parent's gave me the OK to use the garage to do the work, so I'll for once have some fans going and protection from the weather!

I was reviewing a writeup MWT made awhile back. Won't be a fun job, but sounds quite doable.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
this was probably one of the worst parts of my engine swap. getting the clamp off of the bottom of the water pump was a major pain on mine because of the way it was indexed... if it were not for the clamps it would have been a pretty easy job. iirc i have used a 3/8" drive breaker bar with a pipe to get the belt off.

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
Spring Hose Clamp

this was probably one of the worst parts of my engine swap. getting the clamp off of the bottom of the water pump was a major pain on mine because of the way it was indexed... if it were not for the clamps it would have been a pretty easy job. iirc i have used a 3/8" drive breaker bar with a pipe to get the belt off.
There is a special tool for removing those clamps. I know where to borrow one. No plans to buy one. It looks expensive.

I use a Dremel with a slitting disc. Cut into the clamp opposite the ears and it breaks. For tight spots I use a flexible shaft on the Dremel.

I would never reuse one. The direction of the ears is for factory installation. They come with keepers on the ears holding them full open. They slip them on and pop the keeper. Easy for them hard for us.

-chart-

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I had problems removing the hose AFTER the clamp was off. The screws are not bad to accesss - you need to remove a bracket that holds the A/C pump too...
Some of them accesible thru the wheel wheel, some thru the top.
For the belt - I used the Advance Auto Parts tool (I bought one, I have three cars). The issue that I have - after you remove the fan belt, LEAVE THE TOOL IN PLACE! The way the tensioner moves make it extremlly hard to put it back on when the belt is off - the tool hits against the cowl.
Some pics:

And the thermostat location:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
WOW That sucks, Sometimes I would like to meet the Taurus Engineers so I could give them a quick, solid kick in the groin for the way they designed these vehicles. Hell I thought the Vulcan was bad, not compared to the Duratec, Good luck with the maintenance :)

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea when I examined a junkyard duratec Gen 3, I was surprised at some of the locations for the bolts...I don't think on a Ford Five Hundred or a 08+ Taurus you could change that pump very easily. Yikes.

Nice oil coating underneath :D

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea when I examined a junkyard duratec Gen 3, I was surprised at some of the locations for the bolts...I don't think on a Ford Five Hundred or a 08+ Taurus you could change that pump very easily. Yikes.

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
Water Pump

So, when did they move the water pump?

See pic. My '01 has it here. Nice location, and the thermostat is right beside that.

-chart-

·
Registered
23,355 Posts
Nick, the 2 best write-ups in the topic finder for the tec water pump r&r are the 96-99 tutorial and the 96-00 one by topgunovrtx. Ive successfully used ea. as a guide several times. Ive always used an oreilly rebuilt/reman ford unit for $30 + core? and lifetime warr. T-stat is pud too. Make sure and get a new o-ring. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The water pump was moved for the 2001 model year over to that side of the engine chart :) Daresay it must make the job a lot easier from that angle.

Thanks for the heads up on the writeups sheila. I will Review them again and get parts ordered tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
oh one other problem i have heard of is the bolts in teh t-stat housing break off. especially if you are in rust country. and a few days worth of pb blaster would be wise on said cars

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmm I think it should be OK since I'm south of the rust country, but I'll jack it up the night before and spray the bolts that hold the cover on.

As an FYI...
Called up every single O Reilys Auto Parts in the Columbia, Sc area. No one stocks the new Cardone water pump. They just have the rebuilds available. They have MasterPro water pumps as new, and the Motorcraft if you special order.

Going to give the new NAPA pump a try (which appears to be a Gates brand based on the warranty PDF).Plus the AAA discount is nice. Part Number: TFW 42334

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I used ebates site to find discounts. For example, they have "hidden" ones for AAP, just search for the store names.
The NAPA one, in the picture, looks similar with the GMB (new one) from AAP part# 125-1950. And yes, NAPA carries rebranded Gates products.

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
Water pump '01+

The water pump was moved for the 2001 model year over to that side of the engine chart :) Daresay it must make the job a lot easier from that angle.

Thanks for the heads up on the writeups sheila. I will Review them again and get parts ordered tomorrow.
Actually, it should last much longer. The death of front mounted pumps is the high belt tension on the bearings. On my '01 and '03 they have this little cute belt with tensioner, speed up from the cam shaft. Since the pump is a very tiny load, the belt should last a long long time. Maybe I should take a look at that tiny belt for condition sometime. Hate to loose a belt there. :(

-chart-

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Picked up the pump. Made in China with pride. Hopefully it'll last a few years. $51 and change out the door w/Tax and AAA discount.

Chart, i've read of a couple people on here having that little belt snap on them and the car overheating. Good call checking them out...

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
WP Belt

Picked up the pump. Made in China with pride. Hopefully it'll last a few years. $51 and change out the door w/Tax and AAA discount.

Chart, i've read of a couple people on here having that little belt snap on them and the car overheating. Good call checking them out...
Checked RockAuto $3.37 Gates belt. Guess I will just get 2 when I order my cabin air filter. I got Bosch $8.. About half what auto parts store charges. And a PCV valve for $4.5. Have to check the hose on my '03 first.

My glass guy got the key today and will pick up the car soon for a new front window and I'll be back on the road. If I can get all the glass out of the seats and floor I will be fine. I plan to take the seats out on a sunny day and blow it all out with a leaf blower, and vacuum with a shop vacuum. Somehow is sits in our drive and glass keeps appearing on the seat and stearing wheel. :(

Happy motoring.

ps I have had good luck with RockAuto.Have to plan on some postage for things like rotors that are heavy. If I add my light items on they do not add to that.

-chart-

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'll be here waiting for that "overheating engine" thread :lol2:
Man don't say that :( :lol2:

I normally buy from RockAuto but I don't get many chances to work in a shaded, garaged area with light and a fan. Glad my parents said I could. It's 95 outside and I have no shade at my house.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts