Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 95 Taurus with a 3.8. Once the transmission warms up it won't down-shift automatically. It up-shifts fine. My wife had the fluid changed but that did not seem to help. If we put it in neutral then back into drive it will shift into 1st with a bit of a lurch. If we pull it down to first it only shifts into second. I did get an engine code reader for it, if that would help (I am not buying any more pre 96 cars as I have a couple OBDII readers)

How do I determine which trans it has (hopefully from the top)?

Any ideas what it might be?

Thanks,
Carl

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
Hi,

I have a 95 Taurus with a 3.8. Once the transmission warms up it won't down-shift automatically. It up-shifts fine. My wife had the fluid changed but that did not seem to help. If we put it in neutral then back into drive it will shift into 1st with a bit of a lurch. If we pull it down to first it only shifts into second. I did get an engine code reader for it, if that would help (I am not buying any more pre 96 cars as I have a couple OBDII readers)

How do I determine which trans it has (hopefully from the top)?

Any ideas what it might be?

Thanks,
Carl
Since it shifts into the wrong gear, second after reverse, you should check shift linkage. You could have slack making the trans lever not match the in car shifter. You are talking a 16 year old car and things wear. That would be the easiest fix and easiest to repair.

-chart-

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The shifter is not loose. It was - as the bolts that attach it to the cable on the steering column had come loose but I tightened them up and then adjusted the position by loosening the nut at the TRS and adjusting it so park works and I can feel all the detent's including going to first gear.
It never went into reverse when it was not supposed to.
I just wont automatically down shift.

Thanks,
Carl

1 - 6 of 6 Posts