Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the site, so please excuse my "noobiness". I was recently given a 1995 Taurus Police Package for a really good price. The car does start and run, but the transmission is bad. The previous owner told me that this is the third one hes went thru on this car.

My questions are;

Does this car take a different transmission than the regular taurus? If so, would using the wrong one have caused it to go out 3 times?

How much should a rebuilt transmission cost? Are there any modifications that can be done to them to increase reliability?

Any recomendations in general for maintaining this car?

Thanks in advance,

Dustin

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Originally posted by cajuncrnvic@Jan 31 2006, 12:42 AM
I am new to the site, so please excuse my "noobiness". I was recently given a 1995 Taurus Police Package for a really good price. The car does start and run, but the transmission is bad. The previous owner told me that this is the third one hes went thru on this car.

My questions are;

Does this car take a different transmission than the regular taurus? If so, would using the wrong one have caused it to go out 3 times?

How much should a rebuilt transmission cost? Are there any modifications that can be done to them to increase reliability?

Thanks in advance,

Dustin
Hi, and welcome to the site! :welcome:

To answer your question, yes, the Police Package did use a different transmission than the regular 3.8L Taurus, and yes, using the wrong transmission will cause it to fail prematurely.

Ask me how I know. <_<

The correct transmission for your car is the AX4S with Tag # PNA-ET (1994-1995 years).

As far as upgrades, the two most worthwhile would be the steel forward piston upgrade, and the TransGo shift kit, along with the standard updates most reputable shop do as part of a standard rebuild.

General maintenance? Full tune-up is always a good place to start, and then go on to brakes, and suspension, and so on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im guessing you used the wrong transmission before? How much should the correct one cost? Any reputable dealers online that I might be able to snag one from, or should I go to eBay? What is the steel forward piston upgrade?

Thanks again,

Dustin

·
Registered
470 Posts
Originally posted by Racer X+Jan 31 2006, 01:10 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Racer X @ Jan 31 2006, 01:10 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-cajuncrnvic@Jan 31 2006, 12:42 AM
I am new to the site, so please excuse my "noobiness".  I was recently given a 1995 Taurus Police Package for a really good price.  The car does start and run, but the transmission is bad.  The previous owner told me that this is the third one hes went thru on this car. 

My questions are;

Does this car take a different transmission than the regular taurus?  If so, would using the wrong one have caused it to go out 3 times?

How much should a rebuilt transmission cost?  Are there any modifications that can be done to them to increase reliability?

Thanks in advance,

Dustin
Hi, and welcome to the site! :welcome:

To answer your question, yes, the Police Package did use a different transmission than the regular 3.8L Taurus, and yes, using the wrong transmission will cause it to fail prematurely.

Ask me how I know. <_<

The correct transmission for your car is the AX4S with Tag # PNA-ET (1994-1995 years).

As far as upgrades, the two most worthwhile would be the steel forward piston upgrade, and the TransGo shift kit, along with the standard updates most reputable shop do as part of a standard rebuild.

General maintenance? Full tune-up is always a good place to start, and then go on to brakes, and suspension, and so on. [/b][/quote]
OOOO OOO OOOOO!!
I KNOW PICK ME! :lol2:

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Oh yeah keep an eye on the head gasket. 3.8L's are famous for gasket munchin ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would get a SHO trans (strong as police package), but the main difference is the final drive ratio, might cause it to shift weird, theres some site out there that lists the gear differences, if they are different you could swap the final drive sprockets if they are ok, or get a regular 3.8 trans and computer<----last one is hit and miss

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
the 3.8 PP had a few more HP and TQ then the regular Taurus but it also had a better head from the T-bird SC. The head has a thicker flange and should be less likely to have HG issues.

I suspect the owner did not change the trans fluid and was using used junkyard trans.

If i remember correctly, the standard 3.8 trans is be converted to the 3.8 PP version with just a few parts swapped. Also, during a rebuild it can be made vastly stronger with the transgo upgrades.

You can check with Jasper to see if they have a version that they will warranty with the 3.8 PP.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts