Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1995 Taurus just recently started getting alot of play in the shifter. I've searched around but I only seem to find posts about loose shifters. My problem is a bit different it really has alot of Vertical play in it. I have to shift down to like 1 and back up a bit just to get into drive and going in reverse I have to go down to neurtal and back up a bit. I've tried adjusting the cable on top of the transmission in park, neurtal and 1st gear but it still has alot of play. I'm not really familiar with the steering column so i'm not sure if it's the cable or in the column somewhere.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks, I just pulled the column cover off and right away I could see the bushings are bad, I was wondering how difficult it is to replace them? Am I going to need to pull the steering wheel and everything or can I just remove the dash cluster and get to them both?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. It was actually pretty easy to drop the entire column out. I have a part car so I took that one out first to see how it is. Got the bushings today, gonna tackle the job tomorrow, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well It wasn't the bushings at all, It was the 2 bolts in the back that hold on the linkage that the cable hooks to. I circled it red in the pic. It was 2 bolts one was all the way out and the other was on by like 2 threads. Thanks for all the help thou diagrams helped alot, everything is nice and tight now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a similar problem with my 95 Taurus, the biggest issue being that the car is rather reluctant to be put into park. It also has a lot of play in the column shifter, but not being able to park the car is my main concern.

I'm pretty much a novice at car repair and not sure if I want to take apart the entire steering column, so how much would this run me at a dealer?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
QUOTE (john3165 @ Jun 17 2009, 11:39 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=733013
I have a similar problem with my 95 Taurus, the biggest issue being that the car is rather reluctant to be put into park. It also has a lot of play in the column shifter, but not being able to park the car is my main concern.

I'm pretty much a novice at car repair and not sure if I want to take apart the entire steering column, so how much would this run me at a dealer?

Thanks![/b]
Each place charges a different rate. You should call them and ask.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts