Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cars been sitting for about 6 months, both headlights arnt working, high beems will if I hold them on. The lights themself seen to have a bit of water in them, but the bulbs are good.

Is there a fuse for them?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It says in the manual that the fuse is located "in the headlamp switch"... with no dirrectiory as to where is it.

Does the actual switch have to come out somehow to get to it?

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
I would start by checking ALL the fuses, under the dash, as well as the under-hood distribution box. If the car has been sitting for a long length of time, there is no telling if there were electrical issues with it when it was parked, unless you already know otherwise. I don't recall there being a visible fuse in the headlight switch. If you pull the dimmer switch panel out, you can access the main headlight switch. Remove the twist knob, and un-screw the retaining nut, and push the switch in toward the firewall while trying to guide it down through the hole. You should be able to get it through there and unplug it to verify the fuse. My experience though with these cars is, you either have a bad headlight switch, or a bad multi-function switch. I would almost bet on the latter.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I would start by checking ALL the fuses, under the dash, as well as the under-hood distribution box. If the car has been sitting for a long length of time, there is no telling if there were electrical issues with it when it was parked, unless you already know otherwise. I don't recall there being a visible fuse in the headlight switch. If you pull the dimmer switch panel out, you can access the main headlight switch. Remove the twist knob, and un-screw the retaining nut, and push the switch in toward the firewall while trying to guide it down through the hole. You should be able to get it through there and unplug it to verify the fuse. My experience though with these cars is, you either have a bad headlight switch, or a bad multi-function switch. I would almost bet on the latter.
[/b]
have similiar problem.. Pretty sure it's the Multifunction switch.. I would say order it from Autozone, brand new its about 70 bucks, Thats where I'm gonna order mine, hopefully tommorrow lol. ofcourse yours is a different model than mine, mines 98 LX, but it shouldnt be to much difference. Autozone was cheaper than the other stores in my area, normally they aren't.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My experience though with these cars is, you either have a bad headlight switch, or a bad multi-function switch. I would almost bet on the latter.
[/b]
Whats the difference between the headlight switch and the multi-function switch? aren't they the same thing?

I've replaced both headlights, the fuse under the hood and the switch that turns on the parking and headlights (headlight switch or multi-function switch?) and I still have the same problem as the original poster.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
The headlights are on a circuit breaker, which is internal to the headlight switch. The multifucntion switch (turnsignal, wiper stalk) is integral to all the external lights on the vehicle. If you can pull the stalk, and the lights come on, but not with the switch, I'd be inclined to think it was the multifunction switch failing. Be sure to check for a burnt harness when you replace it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
7 Participants
skfmn
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing