Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought another 1995GL with 3.8L
is there anyway of "cutting" that hole or it's better buying a front-end? like on the Taurus Police car.
(i've tried to pull the part betteween the headlight out to check it out, and it seem that the main part has already that hole in it)

is it worth the bother? will it cool better?
or it was done for the look?

Thanks.

like this one: http://www.denniswolfe.com/Taurus/brochure...ice.Package.htm

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
I'm sure it does help the car stay cooler, but I wouldn't recommend cutting your bumper just to get that extra space. If it ends up looking like crap, you're screwed.

As far as finding a police bumper like that, that will also be tough. They aren't that common AFAIK.

My best recommendation would be to find a bumper at a junkyard, and work on it from there. You could make something similar to the police grilles lots of the GenI SHO guys like to use. I'll find a pic for you.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
yeah I think you might like the police grills he is talking about, just do a search for them I'm sure youll find one.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Originally posted by Qwertz9586@Aug 25 2004, 07:54 PM
It's the grille (or as Ford calls it "stone deflector"), not the bumper. I'd recommend getting a spare grille of the same color from the junkyard and cut a hole in there so you don't screw up yours.

That would be the best thing to do.............................if he had a GenI. The GenI's grille is separate from the bumper, while on the GenII's the grille and front bumper are one piece. You can even tell from the pics you posted. The GenI's grille ends when it reaches the headlights, and the GenII continues underneath.

-Rob

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
as you can see in the 2nd picture of the g2 though, that piece of the front is seperate from the actual bumper. it couldnt be THAT expensive at a junkyard. hell, you could almsot cut the part between the headlights off the g2 and mold a g1 police grill in its place. i realize the area where the headlights and bumper meet are different (g2 is rounder), but i still think you could mold a g1 police piece in there. i think this idea is very do-able and in the end would not only look great but definitely be one of a kind. im all for it, if you lived closer id come help you out.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Originally posted by Rubix@Aug 26 2004, 01:07 AM
as you can see in the 2nd picture of the g2 though, that piece of the front is seperate from the actual bumper.
Well, maybe I was wrong on that one. I do know for a fact though, that the grille on GenII SHOs are part of the bumper, not separate.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by 97GreenStreak3.0+Aug 26 2004, 04:41 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (97GreenStreak3.0 @ Aug 26 2004, 04:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Rubix@Aug 26 2004, 01:07 AM
as you can see in the 2nd picture of the g2 though, that piece of the front is seperate from the actual bumper.
Well, maybe I was wrong on that one. I do know for a fact though, that the grille on GenII SHOs are part of the bumper, not separate.[/b][/quote]
No.... this part it on is own... & can be easily removed...
Sale Price: $43.95 U.S (I've spotted a few low $$ in Ottawa to mess with...)
So my car won't look like crap! but none of the Police option are to be found... Exept I've call a Ford parts dealer in Ottawa & it can be ordered for $295 CND !!!!

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Originally posted by 97GreenStreak3.0+Aug 26 2004, 02:41 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (97GreenStreak3.0 @ Aug 26 2004, 02:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Rubix@Aug 26 2004, 01:07 AM
Well, maybe I was wrong on that one. I do know for a fact though, that the grille on GenII SHOs are part of the bumper, not separate. [/b][/quote]
Yeah, the grille on the SHO is part of the bumper, but the SLOs have a separate bumper (as noted by the gray bumper and body colored grille on that G2 po-po).

Rubix, that'd take way too much work. The G1 grille is taller than the G2 grille. Plus the curvature won't match. See how the front kinda bulges out around the middle? The G1 grille is a straight curve.

And DJ, it doesn't look right with a Crown Vic grille. Don't botther getting an authentic Taurus police grille. You might get lucky and find one in the junkyard.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts