Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

Ok, well first off, I was laying under my 95 GL the other day changing the oil, and inspecting it for the first time since it's been back on the road. I was looking at the radiator support and realized how much rust was in it. When I bought the car it had been a police car and all the suspension and brakes were shot. So I've got a quite a bit of money into the car so getting rid of it is not an option currently.

When I bought the car (this time last year) it had sat in the guys' dirt driveway with 2 flat tires and busted front end parts for a good 1 to 1-1/2 years and sat at the local dept. of public works almost as long. So needless to say, it needed a lot and there was rust in it. But not a lot from what I could tell. I wasn't really able to see the underbody until we (my dad and i) got it home and jacked it up. The only major rust appeared to be in front, underneath. Mostly surface rust. I've since oiled it up and it seems to be clearing up. Other then the radiator support.

This brings me to my next question. Do I try and put a patch on it or do I replace it? I can pick up a whole radiator support, new, online for around $59.99 +shipping which averages around $170 total. I can tolerate that to get the correct part. There is also a local shop I am going to try that my dad has dealt with for OEM replacement body parts for several other Ford (and non-Ford) vehicles.

I realize this is a big under taking and my GL will be apart for a bit if I go through with this. It looks as if I would have to disassemble the entire nose, remove the radiator, trans. cooler, PS cooler, battery etc. Then it appears I would have to drill out all the spot welds and physically remove the rusted out support.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, has anyone ever done this before? How long did it take you? Was it worth it? I've included some pictures of the bottom of the support, however, the camera does not do the rust justice. It's through in some spots so it def. needs attention soon. I would like to replace this in the spring when it warms up here in RI.

There are several other rust areas higher up that I could not get the camera up to.

Thanks for your help,
-Alex

[attachmentid=22948]

[attachmentid=22949]

[attachmentid=22951]

Attachments

·
Don't Be Stupid
7,049 Posts
:withstupid:

Damn, I love Texas :sun: We don't have much of that thing ya'll call "winter"

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi,

Was wondering if you ever changed the radiator support and how it went...I need to do the same on my 95 GL. Did it involve welding?

Thanks, BC

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Hi,

Was wondering if you ever changed the radiator support and how it went...I need to do the same on my 95 GL. Did it involve welding?

Thanks, BC
[/b]
Don't know in his case if he replaced it or not, but yes, welding is required for support replacement.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

Thanks, BC
[/b]

Hi RMC,

I did not end up replacing the radiator support. The support does need to be welded in. There appears to be quite a bit of prep work needed before replacing it.

The support itself is relatively cheap. I've found several companies online that have it for $75-100. However, shipping, is around $100. Still, not something worth throwing the car away for.

-Alex

1 - 6 of 6 Posts