Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, this is my first post, but i have read the archives extensively over the past couple months. Just got done repairing my 95 GL after an accident (looks striking now that its two tone). Having gotten the thing roadworthy again it occurs to me that i might want to try to prevent future accidents...by fixing a longstanding brake problem. My pads are wearing unevenly (@ all four calipers). The inside pad wears much faster than the outside pad (i get about 8,000 miles). After this happens and i ignore the squealer for a while it eats my rotors (iv replaced three in the last year). Anyhow, anyone have any idea whats causing the pads to wear unevenly? I searched the archives but to no avail. Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks all for any help!

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
It could be that the slider pins aren't sliding. If that was the case, two things could happen. 1) The inside pad would be doing most of the work until you really push hard, and the caliper floats enough to use the outside pad. 2) The caliper doesn't float back to where it should, and the outside pad is contantly dragging.

However, neither one of these problems seems likely to make very much of a difference--at least not enough that the pads wear out extremely unevenly. Maybe the sliders were installed improperly, and the caliper isn't floating AT ALL? Who services your brakes? Are they qualified?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I service my brakes...no i am not qualified, but im the best deal in town...my suspicion has been that the brakes were wearing unevenly because of a hydraulic problem (all four assemblies exhibit same symptoms, and the only thing joining the four is the hydraulics) but perhaps i put them back together incorrectly when i replaced the pads, rotors...

Brian

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Originally posted by Lazarus@Jan 6 2004, 07:50 PM
I service my brakes...no i am not qualified, but im the best deal in town...my suspicion has been that the brakes were wearing unevenly because of a hydraulic problem (all four assemblies exhibit same symptoms, and the only thing joining the four is the hydraulics) but perhaps i put them back together incorrectly when i replaced the pads, rotors...

Brian
uneven wear is usually attributed to sticking calipers. You're going to want to clean the slide points on the front spindles (where the pads slide along the spindle) and the rear brackets, and replace all 4 calipers. Then completely bleed the system of all old fluid and air (use a whole quart or two if you have to). Also, to play it safe, I'd replace the rear brake pressure hoses, since an accumulation of rust between the hose bracket and the hose can cause a blockage of return fluid flow, causing the rear calipers to stick, and in extreme cases, boiling the fluid, causing brake system failure (this happened to me twice. No bueno. ).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Don't forget to use caliper slide pin grease. Could be why your pads are wearing unevenly.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a chiltons guide that gives instructions for overhauling the calipers, i guess ill try that first and see if it helps...i do remember the little rubber accordion covers on the slide pins being loose, mabey they let some stuff in and fouled the pins...ill check it out. Thanks for the suggestions!

Brian

·
Registered
549 Posts
Originally posted by Lazarus@Jan 7 2004, 06:35 PM
I have a chiltons guide that gives instructions for overhauling the calipers, i guess ill try that first and see if it helps...i do remember the little rubber accordion covers on the slide pins being loose, mabey they let some stuff in and fouled the pins...ill check it out. Thanks for the suggestions!

Brian
That will totally foul the pins quicker than you think. The rubber boots have to seal the pins or else they will seize right up. Has happened to me many times to the point where I need a propane torch and a can of PB Blaster to separate everything.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks diesel, i suppose that may be why im getting uneven wear...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts