Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Posted last year about this 95 Taurus GL only having 1st and reverse, after several suggestions from members (Thank You) and taking to a local tranny shop I ended up replacing the tranny with one from a low milage insurance wreck. Was like a new car for a few months. Now I'm back to square one. Shifted odd for a couple of days then got in it one morning and pulled out and once again nothing but 1st gear. When it goes to shift to 2nd theres nothing there, slow back down to around 10-15 mph and 1st catches again.
This time bought a scanner and here's what I've got:
(R,M)
Oxygen sensor not switching - system is or was lean - Single, Right or Rear HO2S - Fuel control

(M)
Ignition TACH signal was erratic (module/wiring) or SPOUT circuit fault - Ignition Systems

(O)
Solenoid/circuit failure - shift solenoid 1 - Transmissions

(O,M)
Park/Neutral Position (PNP) or Clutch Pedal Position (CPP) circuit fault Electronic shift transmission - Manual Lever Position (MLP) sensor out of range in Park-Transmissions

(O)
Transmission solenoid/circuit failure Shift Solenoid 3 - Transmissions

(M)
Transmission 2nd gear failure - Transmissions

(M)
Transmission 3rd gear failure - Transmissions

(M)
Transmission 4th gear failure - Transmissions

(O)
Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) circuit fault - Transmissions

So far I've started with the Manual Lever Position Sensor, which Auto Zone stocks for $25 but they call it a Neutral Safety Switch (go figure).
After replacing it I pull out and it shifts from 1st to 2nd, perfectly. But nothing else, no 2-3 or 3-4. Just stays in 2nd till I stop then back to 1st and up to 2nd.

I'm open for suggestions, this car is driving me insane, thankfully its a short trip.
I can't afford to spend much more on this thing, I'm on disability, but its still too good of car to scrap.

I appreciate any ideas,
TooTall

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Bad tach signal makes me think VSS. A bad VSS makes your car drive like the tranny is about to die, and it will if you don't fix it right away. I think I paid 25 - 39 bucks for a new one. PITA getting the old one out.

·
Registered
513 Posts
QUOTE (drh1957 @ May 17 2009, 04:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=725869
Bad tach signal makes me think VSS. A bad VSS makes your car drive like the tranny is about to die, and it will if you don't fix it right away. I think I paid 25 - 39 bucks for a new one. PITA getting the old one out.[/b]
That was my first thought too. I replaced mine while the tranny was out even though the old one was still working fine.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
You may have more than one problem.

I too like the speed sensor idea. Other symptoms of a bad speed sensor are, erratic speed-o, cruise control randomally dropping out, or not setting, anti-lock brakes acting out.

You may also have an acting out, or mis adjusted TRS/Neutral/Start switch, or linkage, or wiring to it.

Also check the tranny fluid level & condition.

More thoughts for consideration, let us know what you find.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies,
Another symptom or a seperate problem, after starting up the door ajar-key left in etc. dinger keeps going off and all the interior lights stay on. Made sure all the doors shut, is this related to something or do you think its just a bad door switch? Odd it started when I replaced the MLPS.
On ajustment of the MLPS, what is the procedure?
Other than the lights and dinger nothing else is acting up relating to the VSS, speedo's fine, radio works etc. Replaced it when I replaced the tranny but I know that doesn't mean its good now. I'll try and replace it this week and post back.
Thanks again for the suggestions, I really do appreciate it.
TooTall

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
QUOTE (TooTall @ May 18 2009, 07:33 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=726037
Odd it started when I replaced the MLPS.
On ajustment of the MLPS, what is the procedure?[/b]
There is a small line on the center rotating white part and a line on the outer black part that line up perfect and it has a "N" and a center line marking which I can't type but it is basicly a "C" and an "L" over lapping. EDIT: Here's the Centerline symbol ℄

Here's the unmarked pic, you might be able to see it now that you know where to look:

If you happen to have or want to make an adjustment tool this is what the 95 FSM shows about it. Just eyeballing might be good enough.

Or basicly you are lining all 3 of these lines in a row when in neutral (it is in park for this pic)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Guys,
The int. lights and dinger turned out to be a seperate problem, was a broke switch on the drivers door. Thanks Oldwagon.
Adjusted the MLPS according to the pictures, appreciate them mt goat, checked and WD'd all the connections. Checked the wires and plug on the VSS, all looked good. Took out for a drive and pulls out in 1st, no slip, shifts to 2nd nice and easy but nothing after, stays in 2nd.
Haven't noticed any odd stuff like some report when the VSS goes bad, Speedo works fine, no tach so nothing to screw up there. Radio works, etc.
Check engine light still comes on and goes off so I'll try to pull the codes again tomorrow and see if anything has changed. Will post results.
Me old body won't let me do too much at a time anymore, have to come in and take it easy to get things in the mood again, so bare with me if replies don't come real fast.
I really do appreciate everyones help,
TooTall

·
Registered
1 Posts
DID THE PROBLEM GET RESOLVED? I'm having the same problem on a 1995. Stays in first gear only! does not go into 2nd, 3rd or 4t. no problems in reverse. Happened withou warning. no past problems. Any help appreciated.

Bingobob

QUOTE (TooTall @ May 18 2009, 04:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=726126
Hey Guys,
The int. lights and dinger turned out to be a seperate problem, was a broke switch on the drivers door. Thanks Oldwagon.
Adjusted the MLPS according to the pictures, appreciate them mt goat, checked and WD'd all the connections. Checked the wires and plug on the VSS, all looked good. Took out for a drive and pulls out in 1st, no slip, shifts to 2nd nice and easy but nothing after, stays in 2nd.
Haven't noticed any odd stuff like some report when the VSS goes bad, Speedo works fine, no tach so nothing to screw up there. Radio works, etc.
Check engine light still comes on and goes off so I'll try to pull the codes again tomorrow and see if anything has changed. Will post results.
Me old body won't let me do too much at a time anymore, have to come in and take it easy to get things in the mood again, so bare with me if replies don't come real fast.
I really do appreciate everyones help,
TooTall[/b]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi BingoBob and everybody else,
I appologize for not getting back with an update sooner, my health problems have had me laid up longer than usual this time. That and my over protective wife and the only thing I've got to look at the last few weeks has been the TV. I hope to be able to get back on the tranny problems this coming week.
Where its at now is after replacing the MLPS I gained a 1-2 shift. If I pull out in OD it will shift 1-2 but then it tries 2-3 and goes into nothing, RPM's wind up and doesn't pull untill speed drops back slow enough for 2nd to catch up. If I pull out in regular D I get the 1-2 shift but not the 2-3 wind up, it pretty much stays in 2nd and I can drive it up to 35-40 MPH.
Tried pulling codes after replacing the MLPS and all I get with my little cheap scanner is a constant tone, no codes.

It may be another week or two before I'm able but I'm hoping to get it up to the Ford dealer and see if they can tell me once and for all whats going on. As soon as I do I'll post results. Between now and then, if anybody has any ideas I'm open for suggestions.

I appoligize again for the time between post, I appreciate everybody on this site for trying to help.
TooTall

1 - 11 of 11 Posts