Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last March (2003), our Taurus's (3.8l engine) water pump cracked and had to be replaced. We had had the cars 4 years at that point, and the temperature guage usually hovered around the A and L in NORMAL when fully warmed up (N being on the hot side, L on the cold side).

Ever since then, is usually is up around the O and R. I installed an actual gauge tonight (I'm a HUGE procrastinator), and the engine is running at over 220f.
I've replaced all the hoses, thermostat, guage water temp sensor, fan switch (on top of the thermo housing) and fan motor (it literally went up in smoke last week).
In doing research, I found a site that said some water pumps rotate backwards. Just for the heck of it, I went and looked up the water pump part number that was installed in our Taurus from Napa, and on Napa's site, it says my water pump rotates clockwise. I doublechecked, and that is the correct pump, according to them, and cross referencing other manufacturers. I then grabbed the keys to the car and started up the engine to take a look. My water pump pulley rotates counter-clockwise.

I guess my main question is, when NAPA says it rotates clockwise, is that when looking at it from the pulley side, or the impeller side?

Another possibility my bro-in-law (20+ year mechanic) brought up is a clogged radiator (I hated that job, took me an hour to do EACH tranny cooler line, and I had to do it twice!!) I don't want to have to do it again.

It seems to run hotter on the freeway, and right after, then cools down a little around town. It seems to run cooler with the A/C on, but that might just be because the fan's always running. The fan does seem to come on when it's supposed to though, with the A/C off.

Any other ideas?

BTW: This is an awesome site.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I think I would agree with your brother-in-law.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts