Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, my 95 just isnt doing it for me. I know the car itself isnt supposed to be that fast but i've got a friend with an 88 taurus that smokes my car. his isnt a sho either. I feel like my engine is lacking, as though theres something causing it not to run at its peak performance. What could this be?

I also want to know what i can do to speed it up a little...

any ideas anyone?

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Proper maintenance and timing. That helps.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
could you guys really get it running right?!?!?!?!

i'm thinkin about a tune up, would that help?

and im thinkin about seafoaming it..

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Well, then you're going to have to do a tune-up by yourself or find a local mechanic.

I'd start with:
Spark plugs
Spark plug wires
Distributor Cap & Rotor
Fuel Filter
Air Filter
Oil and filter

If you have funds, then add these:
Trans Fluid and filter
Coolant

If that doesn't help, then it may have bigger problems.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Clean fuel system out, and preform a fuel pressure check as well.
Old half dying pumps will slow ya WAaaaaay down as well with low pressure.
SO will bad transmission parts too though.
Does it slip, or shift hard ? Feel like your driving with the breaks on, or some thing is dragging ?

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Clean the MAF with CRC MAF cleaner.

Use AutoRX to clean out the motor.

Get an underdrive pulley and high flow y-pipe.

Replace all fluids and filters.

Replace O2 sensors.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Well!!! I'm appalled!!! Nah, just kidding. :p Since you can't bring it here, let's break down your post. Proper maint. and timing, these are KEY!!! Qwertz pretty much nails it here. I personally would add in checking or having the timing checked, it could be way advanced or retarded for fuel mileage, you never know. New O2's could be helpful, you can take the car to a state inspection station or find a mechanic with a GOOD name brand analyzer they can tell you whether they are switching slow or lazily. Seafoam IN MY OPINION, never use it, you can get as good or better results from a cheap bottle of trans fluid and water. The under-drive pulley and hi-flow y-pipe, are not gonna get the car running any better to begin with, but will hop it up a little AFTER you've gotten it back to having a set of balls.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so, let me just ask, how do i go about checking my timing?

and from what i've heard this car actually should have pretty good pick up???

about how much would a tune up run me? ballpark?

and i really wish i knew what maint. this car has had, we just bought it in august, and the guy selling it only owned it for 1100 miles.. (according to carfax) . but since i dont, what/where should i start?

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
You check your timing with a timing light. If you're going to take it to a shop anyways, just have them include that when they do the tune-up (they're usually suppose to do it when they change the cap/rotor).

Basically you shine this light that looks like a gun at your crank pulley and it fires the light at the same time that the number one spark plug fires and this shows a measure on the pulley that should be in a range set by a pointer on the engine. On my old Sable, the passenger side wheel had to be removed to check it, but it had the Essex. I think you can get to it from the top on a Vulcan. Remember to remove the spout plug before checking timing.

If you go to a shop, a minor tune-up is air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, cap/rotor, and oil change. Parts run about $40 minimum (before markup) and labor is about an hour to an hour and a half (call the shop for estimate).

A major tune-up would involve everything in a minor tune-up plus spark plug wires, coolant exchange, and trans filter/flush. Add about $250 parts and labor to the minor tune-up. Parts for DIY is $80 for the trans fluid and filter, $30 for spark plug wires, and $10 for coolant).

You do not need a underdrive pulley or high flow y-pipe like fdogg says. AutoRX is a good product, but do a proper tune-up first. Only replace the O2 sensors if they are bad (usually throws a check engine light).

Cleaning the MAF and Throttle Body will cost you about $8 for the cleaning fluids from any parts store (usually in a red an black can made by CRC). Get dedicated MAF and Throttle Body cleaner (two separate items) and clean your MAF and TB. You can do it yourself (or buy the products and have the shop do it for you; it shouldn't cost extra labor).

The MAF sensor is a thin wire so be careful not to touch it or break it. The TB, just spray and wipe with a paper towel. Remember to clean the back side of the butterfly valve as well.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
and from what i've heard this car actually should have pretty good pick up???

[/b]
Ehhh... compared to a Geo Metro, I suppose. Vulcans, in stock form, are pretty easy going.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts