Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought this car. 94 Taurus Wagon 3.0 w/auto... It looks like the trans was replaced with a used one. The speedo didn't work so I replaced the VSS. now the speedo works but the cruise control still does not work. Also its shifts funny. it runs high in the rpms before it shifts. Like the shift points are off. shifts are smooth till I slow down. at about 35mph it downshifts very hard. I did notice the trans mount is very loose and should be replaced. The car is in nice shape and I don't mind putting a couple hundred into it.

There is also a single wire round plug near the brake booster that is not attached to anything. I scouted one at a junk yard but couldnt find where the wire was to see where it goes. I have a similar wire on my ranger it goes to the neg side of the battery. (pull apart for the fuel pump on the ranger) I'm not sure if this is part of the problem tho. other than the hard downshift and the long shift points the car runs and drives nice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I'm still working in the dark here I noticed that the car does not down shift into passing gear either. The only time it down shifts is when you are slowing down. If I'm hard on the brakes at 55 it does not down shift with a slam at 35. yesterday I was cursing at 35 for about 3 miles and all was fine till I was slowing down slowly for a stop then at 25 mph it slammed into a lower gear.

Now the trans is marked from a junkyard as a 93. I was just reading about the 91-93 being unreliable and the trans name changing in 94. since the car is a 94 I'm wondering if that could have something to do with it?

The problem is I like the car but not enough to drop a grand or more into it.....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts