Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I had my local mechanic perform a 30 point courtesy inspection on the car and I have a couple of issues that need to be addressed.

1. Both inner and outer tie rods on both sides need to be replaced. I called Advanced Auto parts and they said that the Inner ones were $18 each and the outer ones were $13 each.

2. Also, The mechanic said that one of the wheel cylinder needs fixed. This runs $12 according to Advance Auto parts. All of these prices that I mentioned above were the El Cheapo of course.

Should I get this fixed immediately? I just spent $125 getting the heater and AC fixed. I did not get the transmission flushed because my mechanic said that I would be throwing money away. Money is kind of tight right now. I really do not want to dump a ton of money into this car since the transmission is garbage.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
I would do both as soon as possible, unless the transmission is so far gone you're going to replace the car in the very near future (and aren't planning to have the trans problems fixed).

#1: Bad tie rods make the car impossible to align, and cause uneven tire weazr, plus wandering around on the road because the steering will have play in it. I don't remember if OH has annual inspections, but if you have loose tie rods, the car will fail a safety inspection.

#2: If you need a new wheel cylinder, your mechanic most likely noticed a leak. I'm assuming since the parts are $12 that it's a bad rear wheel cylinder (I remember you said front in your other post)? Do both at one time, and you'll have a good chance to inspect the rear brakes and replace parts as needed.

You can do both yourself and save a bunch of money on labor if you have the time and a place to do it...I believe there's a writeup somewhere around here on inner tie rods (outers are a piece of cake), and then take it to be aligned immediately afterwards. If you've done rear drum shoes before, changing the wheel cylinder is another two bolts and the brake line, and might add five minutes to the job. :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ohio does not have motor vehicle inspection. They only have emissions in 7 counties. Thank God Ohio does not have motor vehicle inspection. Its a good thing that I do not live in those 7 counties that have emissions inspection. It did however pass PA inspection because my pap knows somebody. Mr. Lick em Stick em.

I'm NOT going to get the transmission rebuilt or replace it with another one. The wheel cylinder is in the right rear and it is leaking. My pap only took this car to Wal-Mart to get tire balanced. The tire do not have uneven tread wear that bad surprisingly. I'll think about what I want to do with the car. I just got a price to get the front and rear shock/struts and that came to $202 which does not include TAX of Labor.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My son's 94 wagon has orginal front struts at 171K and rides fine. Rear are hi-jackers and have been replaced.
Your wheel cylinder should be replaced soon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts