Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got some panasonic 6x9s for my birthday. i want to put these in my 94 taurus GL sedan. My question is how do i get to the rear speakers to remove them?do i need to remove the rear seats and if so how? i'm sure someone has done this before so if u could tell me what i need to to do then that would be great.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
This is a two step project.

To remove the OEM speakers, pry off the speaker grills from the top and remove the screws and pull the speakers out.

To put in 6x9 speakers (not a stock size) you will have to mount them from underneath the rear shelf (the trunk side). Self tapping screws and a power driver (drill) make this task a lot easier. Trust me on this. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Pop a flathead screwdriver underneath the grills. They should use standard tension clips on your year car. An even better tool to use would be an upholstery removal tool. It's basically a screwdriver handle with a flat, wide "U" at the end, and you find the clips, surround each with the sides of the U, and pry upwards. It puts pressure where it should be, and applies it evenly, so that you don't break anything.

JR

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
By the way, you shouldn't need to remove the rear seats.

The Haynes manual for my year says to remove the rear seats so that you can remove the entire rear parcel shelf, just to get to the rear speakers. It's not that difficult on a Gen III. All you need to do is pinch the metal mesh inward, and it will pop out. I'm sure that the Gen II is simple and it's just pulling the grills.

I agree with Racer X though...6x9's need to be bottom mounted. Self tapping screws and a decent powerdriver will be very beneficial and make your life so much easier. Remember, measure twice, so you only need to drill once. A sharpie would be good for marking where to drill.

JR

·
Registered
221 Posts
yeah just take a flat head screw driver and pry around the edge of the grill till it pops out. its just wedged under the top piece of carpet so it wont be that difficult. then as was said before, unscrew the factory speakers and take them out. from my experiance I would go spend the extra money to buy the speaker harness adaptors so you dont have to cut the plugs off and crimp on push connectors. it also gives you a little more wire to work with. If you dont want to do the whole drill thing then I suggest returning the speakers and getting 6x8/5x7 speakers, but what do whatever you floats your boat.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I recommend cutting the speaker harnesses off. Unless you plan to reuse the old speakers, there is no reason to keep them on. It's just one more connection to check if there's a problem with them. I would upgrade the speaker wire if you can, but if not, just solder an eight inch piece of wire in, and use quick crimp connectors for the terminals. That will give you an adequate amount of wire to work with, and if you need more, add more. Just use electrical tape to isolate all the connections and then use a wire tie to clean it all up!

JR

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
And, if you're like me, you didn't like the regular color of your grills, spray paint them! My interior was tan/beige (to go with the tan/gold exterior) and the grills were the same color. I pulled those bad boys out when I replaced my rear speakers and did some hanging and some simple black spray painting. I thought it made the grills look a lot better and stand out. Just be careful spray painting and don't get clogged holes! :)

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Jul 27 2004, 09:30 AM
I recommend cutting the speaker harnesses off. Unless you plan to reuse the old speakers, there is no reason to keep them on. It's just one more connection to check if there's a problem with them. I would upgrade the speaker wire if you can, but if not, just solder an eight inch piece of wire in, and use quick crimp connectors for the terminals. That will give you an adequate amount of wire to work with, and if you need more, add more. Just use electrical tape to isolate all the connections and then use a wire tie to clean it all up!

JR
Don't cut the connectors. They make Ford connectors that allow you to plug aftermarket speakers into the factory harness. Makes things that much easier.

You can pick them up from the mobile install department at any Best Buy for a few bucks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
installed the speakers today. they went like a snap tho i had to to a little drilling. ne ways thanks to everyone who helped

1 - 10 of 10 Posts