Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 taurus with the 3.0 and i will run down a little history of the car and maybe you guys can help me.

130,000 miles.

replaced plugs(autolight/or moto craft) at little over 100k miles. Wires(el cheapo) were i want to say around that time, or little before like at 90k miles.

Dpfe sensor replaced- kind of odd for that year, but i had a surging issue that didnt go away after new plugs/wires/cap/rotor. replaced the sensor and has been great ever since.

fuel filter- once a year.

cleaned IAC once

pcv vavle= replaced once
and some other minor/ normal stuff

on to my issue. wife washed the car today(seems when she drives it it acts up , lol.). said she started it and the battery light came on and some other lights and ran rough then cleared up and drove 100% fine for 10 miles home.

so i check it out, starts normal, i rev it up and let off the gas and it almost dies, catchs it self and idles normal.

things i quick tried=
1.- took off distributor cab and sanded down the rotor and cap prongs.
2. tapped on IAC, AND removed it and blew it out with compressed air, and sprayed a "little" Pb blaster in there. and blew/ wiped it out again.

started it/ revved it and still had the issue of almost stalling.

3. cleaned battery terminals ( were last cleaned in fall)
4. sorta moved around a few plug wires

started it/ revved it and seemed a little better.

now my thoughts- I dont think it is a IAC, as i would assume the idle would jump up and down, as i remember my brothers tempo and that sensor went bad and it would just idle high out of no where and when we tapped on the sensor it would idle normal ( replaced the sensor and issue went away).

I dont think a alternator would cause this issue.

I am leaning towards replacing the plug wires as it has warmed up around here and could have got "damp" and wires are older. But, thing runs normal at idle/ revs up fine.

I will see how it acts here over the weekend . I think it wouldnt hurt to replace the plugs/wires/ cap rotor and PCV vavle as i havent lately.

I have never cleaned the mass air flow sensor. Is that easy? I think that wouldnt hurt. Any advise/tips? I will do a quick search too in the mean time.

I dont want to just throw parts at it before seeing what this site's memebers have to say!.

Thanks for reading.

Jake

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i think i will try cleaning the mass air sensor, idle air control vavle and go from there. Next would be plug wires and plugs.Cap/rotor are in good shape, but cheap enough to replace.

running better today, so we will see.
I will keep this post updated if anyone cares.

any input would be appreciated.

thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ya, after a weekend of driving. It got better. Weird.

I WILL check for vaccum leaks. Wouldnt hurt to check.

Thanks for the input.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts