Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, this thing has burned up 5 starters in the last year! I am getting sick of crawling under it. Thankfully I got a lifetime warranty with the first one and they are pretty easy to swap out, but seriously, its starting to piss me off! What could cause my starters to go bad after only a few months or less? I can see how its possible that I got a couple bad re-man starters, but 5 in the last year?!?! There has got to be something in the electrical system that is causing this. Any ideas? :(

·
Super Moderator
8,631 Posts
Are these the cheap "rebuilds" from a discount parts store or quality units like new Motorcraft ones?

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Well if they are AZ remans, they don't have a good rep on their electricals.

Are you certain the battery is ok & will pass a load test???? If not, it could be outputing low voltage under load & causing the starter motor to have to draw more amps to do it's thing & over heat.

OR, seeing as how this is a vintage bull, maybe it has a problem with high resistance battery cables causing a serious under load voltage drop to the starter motor????

SO, maybe do a voltage drop test on Both battery cables & post the results.

If all thats ok, then maybe get the next replacement from another store, in case they're into a bad lot of reman parts.

OR, maybe consider an OEM one, from as low a mileage salvage yard donor as you can find.

Is this a 3.8L bull????

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
In addition to checking cable clamps for broken wires, check the relay for corrosion and the main negative ground at the block. Lots of corrosion points on a 16 year old car will cause mystery no-start problems.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I agree, I usually avoid any parts that have a lifetime warranty, because I know that lifetime warranty parts are really just a gimmick to get you back in the store.

I use mostly Motorcraft parts. The difference in quality is huge.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its a 3.0L Vulcan. We replaced the neg ground cable during the last starter swap and the battery is new. I'm just gonna swap in another O'Reily's starter tonight so I can get to work tomorrow and then do a voltage drop test on Saturday. I'll let ya know how it goes. B)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The new starter is in and it is working. However now I seem to have an oil leak in the filter area. :angry:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts