Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new sable has this anoying issue and it is starting to piss me off and I don't know that much about the 3.8.

At idle the oil pressure light comes on. Actually any time you let off the throttle the rpm drop and it comes on even when crusing at high speed. But as soon as you touch the pedal even without changing the engine speed the light goes out.

Any ideas what the problem is? I checked the bearings for play when I changed the oil pan last week but apparrently the light has been doing this since last year.

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
Pat park it asap! The problem is that you had a headgasket go and coolant got into the oil and it eventually destroyed the rod bearing so the lo pressure is the rod bearing beening dmaged so you have to drop the pan and change the bearings. My old 3.8 had that problem and so did racer x's

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
There's a chance that it's the rod bearings, but their failure would be undoubtedly accompanied by a rather loud and unmistakable rapping or knocking, depending on how bad the bearings are.

Other causes would include a bad oil pump or more likely a bad oil pressure sender, both of which are located on the front cover.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by Racer X@Jun 9 2004, 12:36 AM
There's a chance that it's the rod bearings, but their failure would be undoubtedly accompanied by a rather loud and unmistakable rapping or knocking, depending on how bad the bearings are.

Other causes would include a bad oil pump or more likely a bad oil pressure sender, both of which are located on the front cover.
I'm thinking sensor. And if Greg read the post he would have seen that I checked the bearings. When I asked about the oil pump at Ford they told me they don't usually fail in the 3.8

G

·
Put a test gage on it, just to make sure it has the proper pressure. My money's on the sending unit. Either that, or the rod bearings. Did you check those? :p Sorry Greg, had to do it! :lol:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Bob Gervais@Jun 9 2004, 05:10 AM
Put a test gage on it, just to make sure it has the proper pressure. My money's on the sending unit. Either that, or the rod bearings. Did you check those? :p Sorry Greg, had to do it! :lol:
How do you check presure? Do you take out the stock sender and put a gauge on? How hard is it?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts