Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rubber hose coming off the air filter inlet that I don't know what it goes to. It had a yellowish colored plastic fitting that was on the side thats open and appeared to be molded to a black piece of plastic that has broken off. I cant get a picture of that piece because as I took it off I dropped it and it fell to the ground thus I cant retreive it untill the car is put back together (just replaced the timing chain cover and waterpump).

Also while I was poking around I noticed a sensor that is broken. What sensor is it though? Its hard to get a clear shot of it but if you put your cursor right in the middle of the 1st pcture, thats the sensor I'm talking about. The second picture shows the crack in it.

Also while we're on the subject of "whats this thing" this thing connects to the upper connector of the pcv. The 1st pic is to show that it is connected to some sort of electrical connector. The 2nd pic is to show the location of it, all the way on the other side of the engine from the pcv. The rubber hose that connected to the hard line of the pcv was severly worn so I temporarily used a smaller hose I had laying around to fix it. I'm just curious what it is, what type of sensor could possibly serve a use on a pcv?

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
The cracked sensor is your temperature sensor. I think that the PCV system hooks up to the the air intake hose, but I'm not 100% sure.

The sensor that you might find attached to the PCV might be the EGR, since it needs a vaccum source as well. The valve isn't attached to it, but the sensor might run off of the vacuum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So what does the line from the airbox connect to? (1st pic on the thread)

The 2nd picture looked like a coolant sensor to me also. Some cars have 2 coolant sensors though, 1 for the computer and 1 for the temperature gauge, des this Taurus work like that or does it just have the 1?

Your saying the white sensor in pictures 3 & 4 electrically connects to the EGR?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Taurus 93 has 2 ECT sensors,...

one for computer and one for gauge. Pictured sensor is the one for computer, it is screwed into lower intake manifold.
On a last two pictures I see purge canister solenoid/valve. The purpose of that part is to open line what gasoline vapors use to go from charcoal canister to intake (through upper port on PCV). I think it is energized for a while after engine starts.
As about vacuum line on first photos - I cannot take a look at my engine right now (car is out of home until late night), will do that tomorrow if somebody else doesn't answer.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Your engine looks like a vulcan if i'm correct.

I gave you my best guess for the first pic, and yes, the Taurus has at least two temperature sensors. You get three sensors when you have EATC, and there is also an intake air temperature sensor somewhere usually.

As far as the EGR goes, it is vacuum-actuated on my Essex, and there is a small valve with a plug on it that figures out when it turns on. This may be the case with the vulcan as well, but someone who is more familiar should chime in on this one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
There are only 2 ports on the pvc and both have the lines connected. The main line of the pcv runs up under the throttle body and connects there. The upper port runs to that solenoid in the bottom 2 pictures. So Alex, I'm still needing to know where the line in the 1st picture goes. I am getting all the fluids etc to complete the timing cover replacement today as well as the sensor replacement. I was hopeing to have been told what that mystery line goes to so I could buy the right length of hose today also but that will just have to wait as I still can not find any place where it could connect.

I don't know if the engine has a name. It is a 93 GL 3.0L V6, same as Alexs'. If by Vulcan you mean, its intricate, precise, very consolidated, and its logic is beyond human capacity, then yes it is indeed a Vulcan.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
The Vulcan is the overhead valve, pushrod, cast iron engine. The overhead cam, 24 valve, all aluminum engine is the Duratec, the prime example of 10 pounds of s**t in a 5 pound box...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Pictures from my car

That's how it should be:
IMG_0852_1.JPG. Hoses are numbered.
Hose 2 is connected to brake vacuum buster port.
Hose 1 is going to firewall, turns left, going to passenger side
IMG_0853_1.JPG (behind A/C accumulator/drier)
then turns left again and it is connected to intake manifold here:
IMG_0854_1.JPG.
Hose 3 is going to firewall where it is connected to some kind of manifold:
IMG_0855_1.JPG.

Hope it helps.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts