Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've replaced the MFS and flasher relay, no help. Checked fuse and bulbs, found one blown rear bulb. Still no turn signals. The four way flashers work fine. The rear back-up lights don't work either. Seems like they stopped working about the same time. Could something inside the column have broken? No tranny work has been done, but sometimes in overdrive, the tranny downshifts momentarily.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Checked the fuses again, and found the back-up light fuse blew again. Replaced it, started the car and tried the turn signal. It lit up for half a second and then blew the back-up fuse again. They are not on the same circuit according to the manual. Any thoughts on where to look?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been able to track down which circuit is bad. Turns out the rear window defroster system is the culprit. Disconnected the two leads at the rear window and fuse does not blow. I think it's the switch thats bad. If my memory is correct, the switch when depressed to activate the defroster, would "click" on and run for cycle for some many minutes and then automatically shut off. My question is, "Can the switch short across itself to cause the fuse to blow?"

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I have been able to track down which circuit is bad. Turns out the rear window defroster system is the culprit. Disconnected the two leads at the rear window and fuse does not blow. I think it's the switch thats bad. If my memory is correct, the switch when depressed to activate the defroster, would "click" on and run for cycle for some many minutes and then automatically shut off. My question is, "Can the switch short across itself to cause the fuse to blow?"
If you real unlucky, your wire harness going to the rear melted some wires
together causing a short between the wires. I would look closely at all
you rear wire bundles and look for tell tail melting signs

To get to the bottom of it, you will really need the cars wiring schematics
and trace down each wire gong to the rear and make sure there are no
shorts between them. I would also disconnect the rear defroster
under the dash and reconnect the wires you took off and see what happens. I think your going to be in for a long session of wire tracing

1 - 7 of 7 Posts