Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Taurus is running awsome, now standing at 225,650 miles. The 3.0 V6 and AXOD are both working perfectly and achieving an amazing 29 MPG on the recent trip (fully loaded down, trunk and back seat pretty full with clothes, auto parts, tools, etc). I was doing about 75 MPH the whole way. It seemed to be getting the same (if not better!) gas mileage than the car it replaced in my line up, 1994 Kia Sephia LS (on the same trip). It made the whole trip (about 500 miles) with NO LICENSE PLATE! LMAO! I have since registered it in Mississippi and got it inspected (passed of course).

I flushed the coolant, replaced the battery terminal ends (the old ones were pretty nasty and the negative one kept popping off), rotated the tires, replaced two lug nuts (missing>>?!), the license plate lights and the CHMSL bulbs. I also individually taped up the wires from (what was left of) the diagnostic port. It had (evedently) falled down on the exhaust manifold and melted all to shizzle. The CHECK ENGINE light no longer comes on and the car runs/drives/idles smoother unlike when I first bought it.

So far it hasnt used a drop of oil (since I changed it, Motorcraft oil and filter of course) nor transaxel fluid. The AXOD is working very well, and the 3.0 V6 runs amazingly well for 225K miles.

I called my freind (a certified Ford tech at a Lincoln Mercury dealership) and he said the diagnostic port falling down on the exhaust is fairly common on these cars. He seemed suprised at the mileage, but said the 3.0 Vulcan is an excelent engine and never ceses to amaze him. I told him the AXOD was recently replaced (to which he added "HA!") but seems great now. He's going to do the power steering rack and pump when I get her back to WA. I've managed to slow the leak by removing some of the fluid (prevoius owners had it way overfilled, created too much pressure, and caused to to leak more).

J

·
0 Posts
That's awesome, keep up the good work John!
You're only 1mpg behind my vulcan
, on my last major trip I pulled of 30 mpg with an average speed of 75-80 mph.

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
The best I have ever done milage wise was a trip to Vegas. I filled up before I left and went there and back on one tank of gas and just as I was pulling in the driveway I believe the gas light came on, IIRC. I think I had something like 430 miles on the trip ODO.

-Kyle

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Awesome mileage man! big up's to those mpg's. I got 30 mpg on a trip once. had something close to 390-400 miles on the tank. This was on the way home though. The trip up, i was doing 85-95 and i got about 25 <_< i guess thats my fault for having that piece of lead implanted into my right foot.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I love the Taurus but if my finances dont change I may be forced to sell it when I get back to WA. I HATE THAT! At least I'll still have my 1988 L and I can get it to go past 200K easily (less than $500 will put it in top condition and it already has 165K).

I love my 1993, its been so great to me so far, especially considoring its mileage. Every time I turn the key I know its going to start up. I really want some 2K Taurus 16" alloys, I think it'll complement the car nicely.

I want to get a Windstar cluster so I can show the full [2][2][5][9][0][0] or whatever it is at the time. People say "oh just put it to about 115-130K miles, it runs like it" but hell no, I want people to know that Taurus can last just as long as a given Accord or Camry and twice as long as most GM, Chrysler, or Mitsu products (anyone whose ever owned a Galant after aound 100-150K knows what I'm talking about).

I also had the exhaust leak repaired since the last time I posted, welded for only $10! It runs super quiet now, I need a tach just to make sure its running at an idle! LOL!

J

·
0 Posts
Why does the 93 have to go due to finances, get rid of something else!
I'd probably get rid of the tempo - but those are cool cars, too - that would be a very tough call.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will not be getting rid of the 92 Tempo. Its just not an option. I've had that car for nearly 3 years now, and almost doubled the mileage on it. Its an extreamly important car to me and besides, in its current condition (needs a motor mount, and a wheel bearing, tires, and the trans leaks) its probably not worth more than $800-$1K if I got lucky. I certainly will not let it go for that amount.

The 1993 GL is worth the most out of all my cars. I no longer have the Mercury Zephyr (my brother abandoned it at a truck stop in Arizona with the keys in it because hes an idiot..the car ran and drove at the time, there was no reason to do that). The 1987 Tempo I got back for free, and its a parts car. The 1988 Taurus L isnt worth more than $200-500 in its current condition (needs radiator, tune up, tires, and the trans leaks, its a 4cyl L).

I really do not want to sell any of them, but perhaps my best option is to sell the 1993, use the money to pay down my immidiate debt, fix the Taurus L (to keep as a daily driver) and go from there. I'd be stuck driving a 4cyl L with no power options but at least I will be that much closer to being out of debt and my celly phone will be paid up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts