Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 93 Sable that I have replaced the water pump (it was leaking a few weeks ago), radiator, thermostat, and temp sender on. The gauge will go above halfway while idling or cruising down the road. Idling with the cap off, the temperature readings seem lower. The scanner ECT data shows about 218*F before the fan cuts on and it cuts off around 212* and this is when the gauge is reading a little high, in my opinion, although that temperature is just fine.

The head gaskets arent blown. I did see a TSB talking about replacing the sender and gauge. Does anyone have any pointers or tips on this. I just realized, that there is no "Sable" in TCCA, but they are practically the same cars. Perhaps someone can lend me some good advice. At this point I am thinking: installing a analog gauge, adding a resistor or potentiometer inline to drop the gauge down to the right area since ECT temps look good, or installing the updated ford gauge, if it hasnt already been replaced. Let me know. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Check the resistance/temp profile of the in cabin temp gauge temperature sending unit, as it's a seperate sender than the one the computer uses & the scantool accesses for it's display.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
The only problem I see is that the temperature rises while cruising. It should rise a touch at idle until the fans kick in. 195 is the thermostat open temp, which is usually around 1/3 on the gauge, and 212-218 would be around 1/2 on the gauge, so it sounds like the gauge is right.

·
Registered
10,958 Posts
Gages

The only problem I see is that the temperature rises while cruising. It should rise a touch at idle until the fans kick in. 195 is the thermostat open temp, which is usually around 1/3 on the gauge, and 212-218 would be around 1/2 on the gauge, so it sounds like the gauge is right.

Those gages are really accurate.:lol2:

Like the gas gage.

Maybe that is why the book says to keep the temp in the working zone.

The temp on my CarChip recorder is quite accurate. (at least I believe it)

Keep cool

-chart-

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
The dash temp gauge sender, should measure 74 ohms cold, 9.7 ohms hot.

Reactions: bullsinyourmouth
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.