Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove the Taurus to ATL last night, and I'm now house sitting for my parents while they're away on vacation. The car did excelent, rolled over 238K miles along the way and didnt miss a beat. Unfortunatly, while doing about 80 MPH through downtown Atlanta last night at about 4AM, the power steering started smoking bad again. Very embarassing. There are some sharp turns and especially when I head toward the left at a high rate of speed, it leaks enough to force fluid onto the exhaust and then it burns off. Needless to say, its low now so I need to refill the p. steering before I drive it next.

I did about 80 mph most of the way, this car is such a natural freeway cruiser. It doesnt make you fatigued to drive it long distances like some cars (namely my car I had just before the Taurus, a Kia Sephia). The addition of 15" alloy wheels have helped dramaticly, you dont have to fight the car as much to keep it pointed where you want it. It tracks better and course corrections are pleasingly simple and easy, not a tough job you'd rather avoid. I think the Kia may have been a better performer with larger wheel/tires as well, but that car was much noisier, crude, and slow. It was difficult to maintain highway speed without over revving all the time. The Taurus' cruise has no problem keeping the needle steadily pointing to what I have it set on.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Dang Nice job John! B) Be easy on the car when going up those Atlantan hills, that'll kill the tranny, lol.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've had the car for nearly 15,000 miles. I change the oil every 3,000 miles and use Motorcraft FL400S filter and Motorcraft 10W30 or 10W40 oil. The car averages 35 mpg. Since I've had it, I've flushed the coolant, replaced the wheels/tires, the third brake lamp bulbs, and the battery terminal ends. Outside that normal maintaince, I've had the following problems/repairs:

CV axel -replaced

Heater core -tied off and will be replaced when I get around to it, lol, which means probably about the time temps stop topping 100 in South MS.

Power steering return line leaks- half way repair job will have to surfice until I can get around to replacing the line.

Strut mounts (and struts but they're just plain old wore out)

Headlamps (due to an accident a while ago) - replaced with junkyard parts.

ECU - diagnostic port became dislodged and fell down on the exhaust, melting and fusing wires together, causing the computer to spaz out. I fixed it by seperating the wires and taping them up individually. Now the computer has (thank God) come OUT of diagnostic mode and the only ill effects are a slightly surging idle when cold and my CHECK ENGINE light doesnt work. The engine runs awsome though, I halfway expected further problems, but I'm happy to report that so far there are none. Let this be a lesson to all who have Taurus' of this gen., please use some zip-ties to secure your diagnostic port more because the stock clips WILL break and it WILL fall down on the back exhaust manifold eventually. I've spoken to Ford technitions and they say its a common occurance. Syptoms include a wildly surging idle, stalling, computer going into diagnostic mode (when key is ON, fan, fuel pump, other accessories will cycle on and off and the CHECK ENGINE light will flash in sequence), etc.

I also replaced my stock 85 mph spedometer with a 120 mph unit from a 1995 Ford Windstar.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oops, I should note that it averages 35 MPG on the highway when I drive like a sane person. It averages about 25-30 MPG when I drive it like I do, as in setting the cruise on 80 mph, running the A/C, etc. I get roughly 300-325 miles per tankfull.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Hey John,
You are invited to lunch at noon on Sunday at the Green Tomato Buffet on Powders Ferry Road in Marietta. I'm treating! Anyone else in Cobb County who sees this message in time is also welcome to come. My cell # is 678-755-8650. I'll be with a small group of people and I'll have a few hours to kill before I have to go to work.

For your information, a leaking power steering pump may lead to a failed motor mount on the gen-2. Over time the PS fluid eats away at the rubber on the mount.

"ECU - diagnostic port became dislodged and fell down on the exhaust, melting and fusing wires together, causing the computer to spaz out."

The same thing happen to my friend Kenny's gen-2 Taurus, causing him all kind of problems. He had to replace the ECU.

Dennis Wolfe

·
Registered
397 Posts
Generation2, you will know if any TCCAers show up, they will be doing 90 just to pull into the parking spaces. :p

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Originally posted by Generation 2@Aug 8 2004, 02:45 AM
Hey John,
You are invited to lunch at noon on Sunday at the Green Tomato Buffet on Powders Ferry Road in Marietta. I'm treating! Anyone else in Cobb County who sees this message in time is also welcome to come. My cell # is 678-755-8650. I'll be with a small group of people and I'll have a few hours to kill before I have to go to work.

For your information, a leaking power steering pump may lead to a failed motor mount on the gen-2. Over time the PS fluid eats away at the rubber on the mount.

"ECU - diagnostic port became dislodged and fell down on the exhaust, melting and fusing wires together, causing the computer to spaz out."

The same thing happen to my friend Kenny's gen-2 Taurus, causing him all kind of problems. He had to replace the ECU.

Dennis Wolfe
Damn...mom just HAD to move to SC. Grrrr....if only I still lived in the Land of Taurus..or Cobb County. <_<

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Generation 2@Aug 8 2004, 01:45 AM
Hey John,

Dennis Wolfe
Dennis,

Damn it! I just noticed TODAY is probably the Sunday you're refering to! I'm sorry but I just woke up at 3 PM (I was up all night with my back hurting). If you'd like to do it later in the week or even next Sunday, it'd be great. Again I appologize!

John

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
Power steering fluid also causes F I R E. It is highly flamable. My 92 Taurus L leaked power steering fluid the same way you describe, when turning at high speeds sharply it would smoke and stuff. It also made the motor mounts go bad 2 different times until I finally just chainged the engine down. There was a guy on here with a Taurus wagon (gen 1 I think) that leaked P/S fluid and the wagon caught fire because of it.

-Kyle

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have never noticed hydrolic fluid to be flamable, though I guess if you got it hot enough it might be.

The motor mounts are new in the car, and I've gotton the leak slowed down quite a bit. Its $120 to repalce the return line.

I used to drive my 1986 Taurus around with NO power steering, lol I'm lucky the pump didnt seize up and cause the serp. belt to break.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Hi John,

No need to apologize. I did not give you or anyone else very much notice. I would have stayed in bed myself until 3:00 PM, except I set my alarm for 11:00 AM, knowing that I told some friends that I would meet them for lunch today. After lunch a few of us went down the street to CompUSA. I bought a Maxtor 250 gigabyte hard drive for $129.99 and a bunch of blank recordable DVD disc. Then I stopped by one of them car wash for charity deals and enjoyed the eye candy while my car was being washed by pretty girls in shorts.

I have to see what my schedule and workload is like this week, and where the "lunch bunch" will be meeting at next Sunday. They usually meet at a different restaurant in Cobb County every Sunday. I try to join them at least a couple of times a month when I'm not working.

I hope your back stops hurting you soon.

Dennis

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey no problem. Well we'll have to try again, mabye I can get my lazy ass up, eh?

Anyway I doubt my back gets any better soon, I have two cracked vertebre (sp?) and since losing my job, my med. insurance has run out so I'm basicly stuck with it. :rolleyes:

I went computer shopping as well today, check it out: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...DME:B:EOAB:MT:6

I need something to burn songs onto CD-Rs with so I can play them on road trips. My same 10 or so CDs get boring after a while LOL. I've been downloading songs all day today and last night, so I should have quite a collection soon.

Speaking of washing Taurus', mine needs it again, even though I just washed it before the trip, right after I changed the oil. I'll do it just before the lunch, lol, so it wont look so bad, heh heh.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts