Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 93 ford taurus 3.8L V6 automatic GL. The A/C system was converted to R-134a in 2010. I just bought a A/C manifold gauge set and want to test my system. The instructions say to "read the pressure on both of the gauges and compare to the manufacturer's recommended readings." My question is where can I find the "manufacturer's recommended readings" for my car? I have looked under my car's hood and they are not their anymore. How can I get them?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
They should be on the VECI panel (plastic panel) that bolts onto the header/crash panel. Some labels should be on there that state the readings. Possible your owners manual will list it too.

·
Registered
697 Posts
If it was converted from R12 you don't want to use the info from the factory installed plates.

A rule of thumb for R134a is high side pressure in psi should be around 2.2 to 2.4 times the ambient temperature in degrees F, i.e. the temperature of the air that your condenser has to cool with, of the area in which you are performing the charge.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Without any manual or experienced user's input, I would go by the pressure-temperature chart. 28 psi gives 32 deg F. Evaporator surface will freeze up with ice at this pressure. Add 10 degrees, and you get 37 psi. I will not let lo side lower than this regardless of ambient temperature.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts