Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, Need some input here.

I've got a 92 Sable with a little over 100k on it. Has been a pretty solid car until recently, My girlfriend has been driving the car too and from work for the past few months, and she never informed me that the oil pressure light was coming on at idle when warm.

I drove it the other day, and it definitely sounds like it has worn out rod bearings. (Light flickers at idle, light knock above 2000 rpms gets louder as car warms up.)

Basically, here's my question.

I need this car to last at least another month or two until I can afford to do anything major. I have a set of rod bearings for it.

Is it worth my time dropping the oil pan, cleaning the crank up with some emory cloth (if needed) and replacing the bearings to buy some time? Or am I wasting time ?

If I still lived in my old house, I would simply rent a hoist an put a junkyard motor in, but I'm definitely not doing that in the street in the middle of winter.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Ok, Need some input here.

I've got a 92 Sable with a little over 100k on it. Has been a pretty solid car until recently, My girlfriend has been driving the car too and from work for the past few months, and she never informed me that the oil pressure light was coming on at idle when warm.

I drove it the other day, and it definitely sounds like it has worn out rod bearings. (Light flickers at idle, light knock above 2000 rpms gets louder as car warms up.)

Basically, here's my question.

I need this car to last at least another month or two until I can afford to do anything major. I have a set of rod bearings for it.

Is it worth my time dropping the oil pan, cleaning the crank up with some emory cloth (if needed) and replacing the bearings to buy some time? Or am I wasting time ?

If I still lived in my old house, I would simply rent a hoist an put a junkyard motor in, but I'm definitely not doing that in the street in the middle of winter.
It could work for awhile, I'd be a little worried about what the crank looks like though. It isn't a nice job to remove the oil pan, you have to drop the exhaust and such, so that isn't much fun in the winter either. If it just knocks lightly, toss some diesel oil in if you haven't already. You might be better off waiting until you can afford a slightly less crappy rebuild, maybe take the crank to a machine shop and get it done up and at least inspect the rest of the bearing surfaces and cylinder walls before putting it back together, it could be in bad shape otherwise.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts