Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.. I'm new here to TCCoA.. I've been reading posts looking for a possible answer to my problem, I didn't find anything so I'm posting a new topic in hopes someone can help me with some tips..

I have a 92 Taurus LX with automatic column shift.
A friend told me that I could have the car if I could move it. The column shifter won't shift out of park.
the keylock collar spun in circles on its own, and the original key was very worn. I somehow got the shifter into neutral and started up the car, and drove it to my place. I replaced the ignition lock with a new one.
I removed the cylinder easily by putting the lock into the RUN position, pushed the little nub on the bottom of the column and the cylinder slid out with minimal effort. I put a new cylinder lock in and everything was good. However the existing problem is still there. I can't shift the selector out of park when the switch is in the RUN position.

I found that when the keylock position is in the RUN position, the selector will not move out of park, but if I crank the key back 1 notch, I can move the gear selector out of park. from there I can start the car in neutral. I can shift thru all gears even reverse. but if I shift into park, I can not shift out of park unless I turn engine off, crank key back 1 notch and shift back into neutral.

I imagine that something isn't aligned, the ignition lock is keyed so there's no way I could have put the cylinder in crooked. the switch that gets turned by the cylinder is also keys so I couldn't have, or rather I don't think I put it in wrong.

Either way the condition still exists...

How do I adjust whatever it is I need to adjust???

·
Registered
70 Posts
Do you notice that the brake lights do not come on when it won't come out of park? Replace the brake switch on the brake pedal arm.
[/b]
This happens all the time with the E450's and I always chase every other problem possible until I'm frustrated (then I go and get a coffee) and then I check the brake switch and it is always the answer...what is the definition of insanity again????

·
Registered
205 Posts
Definitely the brake pedal interlock.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you notice that the brake lights do not come on when it won't come out of park? Replace the brake switch on the brake pedal arm.
[/b]

So what you're saying is if the stoplight switch isn't working, the gear selector won't come out of park??
I had no idea they were tied together..

I haven't noticed if the brake lights work or not, but I'll check ASAP.

Definitely the brake pedal interlock.
[/b]

Cool... any idea how to fix/adjust or remove it??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts