Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm under my fiance's Taurus today, attempting to do some repairs.

I've had two shops (one Goodyear Gemini service shop, one custom exhaust shop that did a flexpipe replacement) both tell me "a mount" has gone bad on the car, but nobody would tell me which one.

Apparently it has caused a front exhaust leak (I assume between the manifold and cat pipe) and needs to be fixed before they'll do the work. I need the car to pass inspection this month, so I'm in a rush.

I'm honestly mostly familiar with front-facing motor setups, and not familiar with oil filled mounts at all... so in trying to determine if the mounts were bad I did what most folks do and stuff it in gear and try to rock the motor. I didn't see any excess play that indicated a major issue. Could this be a transmission mount, then? How do I test that??

Thanks for any quick replies. I can post photos if necessary.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I tried the crowbar test. I got a wedge point in the front and yanked, got about a 1/2" of play. Same in the rear, so I'd say both motor mounts are OK.

however, when prying in front of the transmission, I get a few inches of swing front to back. Dead mount??

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Could be the fluid filled engine mounts, any signs of fluid leaks, or cracks in the rubber on the front, or rear mounts????

Usually on the 3.8L it's the front fluid filled engine mount that goes & with the ample engine torque being what it is on the 3.8L, that mount gets worked pretty hard & is exposed to lots of exhaust manafold heat, so the rubber gets cooked real good.

If it's bad, you'll feel a bump/thump when moving off from a stop, or maybe when the tranny down shifts into 1st when coming to a stop.

If the mount is really bad, the engine can raise up enough to bump, or dent the hood.

SO, maybe try setting the emergency brake real tight, then with the hood up, try putting the engine in L & R & givng it a little gas & see how much the engine torque raises the engine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts