Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have a 92 SHO on the way and I am looking at an immediate brake upgrade. I have a line on a wrecked 02 V6 Mustang and I was thinking of picking up the brake parts. I read through the mondo Mustang caliper brake thread started by Racer X and I just want to make sure I understand:

92 SHO, not sure if it has abs or not (car arrives on Thusrday). To switch to the dual piston mustang calipers I need:

94-95 Taurus spindles, ABSif my car is ABS equiped.
Calipers, Caliper mounts, banjo bolts, 10.9 inch rotors all from the Mustang.
New pads, again Mustang.

The only thing I was not clear on - will the rubber hoses from my 92 screw into the PBR's?

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Every SHO except 89's have ABS, no matter what.

The hoses should fit at worst require a little modification.

I would go for the 11.6 upgrade though. It is much better compared to the 10.9. At the SHO Convention several use the 11.6 and do fine.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you mean the 11.6 upgrade w/the PBR calipers or the 11.6 upgrade with the 94 up calipers?

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
The 10.9" Mustang GT PBR upgrade is the cheapest 2 piston brake upgrade you're going to get away with on the Taurus/ SHO.

The Cobra PBR on 11.6" is a lot more expensive, as there's a bracket modification involved.

The 11.6" G3 SHO, G4 Taurus upgrade is also a nice upgrade, but limiits pad selection over the Mustang GT PBR on 10.9".

allford, the only correction to your parts list is the rotors; you'll be using the Taurus 10.9" rotors, and not the Mustang 10.9" rotors.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
I've installed the 10.9" upgrade with the PBRs on both my blue 93, and Mark's(FFVulcanpowah) 2000. Compared to stock braking, the difference is definitely noticeable, and MUCH better. I do road course driving every so often, so it's not solely driven on city streets.I have yet to experience the "fade" some of these guys say happen with the GT calipers. My pedal, since the upgrade, has been firm EVERY time I go to stop.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have no intention of drilling the brackets - read about that in your big brake post Racer X, and I don't want to mess w/it.

I am considering the PBR upgrade for the SHO because either way, the calipers need to be upgraded for the mustang upgrade or the taurus 11.6 upgrade. for my 95 SLO, I think I'll do the 11.6 upgrade, will only need to change the rotors and pads for that.

Hamal, theres a difference between the mustang and taurus rotors? (and did you use that center console?

My opinion, and my opinion only (correct me if you feel I'm wrong) 70mm 2 piston PBR calipers w/10.9 inch rotors are a better upgrade than the stock taurus calipers w/the 11.6 rotors. Yes, no?

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
The difference between the two rotors is the bolt pattern. The Mustang rotors will be 5x4.5" versus 5x4.25" (108mm) on the Taurus. Both have the same size hub diameter.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, got it on the 10.9 inch rotors - they came on 94-00 Taurii?

Rudedog - did you need to do anything to the brake hoses to hook them up to the PBR's?

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Rudedog - did you need to do anything to the brake hoses to hook them up to the PBR's?[/b]
Nope, but then again, I used Earl's stainless steel brake lines.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rudedog - did you need to do anything to the brake hoses to hook them up to the PBR's?[/b]
Nope, but then again, I used Earl's stainless steel brake lines.
[/b]
and those are a direct replacement for stock Taurus rubber hoses?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts