Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Have A 92 SHO With 127,000 Miles On It And I Think I Either Spun A Bearing On The #6 Cylinder Connecting Rod Or Possibly A Wrist Pin. I Called Up A Machine Shop In My Area And They Said It Would Be About $350 To Machine The Crank And Get Correct Bearings. Now I Can Do The Rest Of The Work Myself But Here Is My Question, Would It Be Worth The Wrench Time & Money To Rebuild It Or, Swap It With Another Junkyard Motor {93 SHO} I have? Any Input Either way Will Be Appreciated. Also If You Have Done Either, What Snags Should I Watch For And About How Much Will It Cost. Time And Funds Are Limited To About A Week And $1500. Once Again Thanks For Any Help You May Offer And Happy And Safe SHOing.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
If you want to do it yourself, whatever you're mechanically competent with is the cheapest. I'm not too good with tearing things apart as they don't seem to go back together very well. So I'd just do the swap.

X

·
0 Posts
I'd just get another motor. They aren't going for that much, plus you can probably replace some parts while you have it before you put it in your car to minimize car down time. Who knows, you can probably fix your old motor up later and sell it. I dont know where you are at, but you may want to check out some sho resources like www.shotimes.com or www.shoforum.com . Maybe you can find a few members near you and get them to help.

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
my brother was goin to rebuild his 3.0 sho mtx, the oil pump went and the motor started to knock, we took the lower part, and most of the top part while it was in the car and redid part of it, its still knockin, so we took it out and we have to take it to a shop. its costin him over $2000 to have it rebuilt and completly cleaned. its cheaper and would have taken us less time to get a sho motor with less miles for $400, we could have swapped the whole thing in 3 days and still kept his modified upper parts, but o well. IMO, replace it and save the rest to get some stage 2 cams and upper intake mods.

·
Registered
187 Posts
the swap is cheaper, but if you rebuild it, you'll know the engines history from day one. a rebuild, you can't guarantee its going to leave you stranded one day.

if you think its just a main bearing, why not get a set. they are $70 at rockauto, I think. as long as the crank isnt scored, you'd be fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Thanks For Your Input i Ripped Out The Oil Pan Today And Found That It Was A Spun Connecting Rod Bearing So Needless To Say I Was Like
. So I Pulled It Out And Ordered A New Set Of Them. After They Get Here Im Gonna Just Fix The Problem And Rebuild The Other Motor I Have On My Leasure And Swap em. Thanks For your Input. And May Your Sho's Run Forever

N

·
0 Posts
SilverKnight was talkin about me. I decided not to rebuild the motor and just get a 75K mile motor with the 60K maintenance already done. I am gonna use my heads and intake and put those on the "new" motor.

BTW, get your bearings from NAPA, for like $50. And measure your crank and rod , make sure they are no scored. hopefully your bearings don't look like this one-->> mine

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Originally posted by NIGHT_RIDER@Feb 7 2004, 09:18 PM
SilverKnight was talkin about me. I decided not to rebuild the motor and just get a 75K mile motor with the 60K maintenance already done. I am gonna use my heads and intake and put those on the "new" motor.

BTW, get your bearings from NAPA, for like $50. And measure your crank and rod , make sure they are no scored. hopefully your bearings don't look like this one-->> mine
:jawdrop: Daaayyyyuuumm!! And I thought my bearings looked bad! Holy s*** man!

N

·
0 Posts
Yea and that with only 75K on the motor. That was the only one that was like that. the others were fine. Since that bearing spun, it scored the crank and the rod. Not fun stuff.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Originally posted by NIGHT_RIDER@Feb 7 2004, 10:27 PM
Yea and that with only 75K on the motor. That was the only one that was like that. the others were fine. Since that bearing spun, it scored the crank and the rod. Not fun stuff.
Yeah, that's how it was on my motor. 78k on the motor, but the bearing wasn't nearly as bad. It just suffered from coolant erosion from when the head gasket went. The crank and rod made it through fine, as well as the 5 other bearing sets.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wow man that bearing is messed up i think its just this one on mine so i ordered a new set for 41$ from a auto parts store by me and they should be here on tuesday. im going to just bolt it up and get the other motor i have prepped asap thanks for the info.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts