Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my Sable seems to leak tranny fluid whenever it gets hot outside. Last summer it really poured out and I left it at the tranny shop and they found nothing wrong other than really low fluid levels. It leaked abit yesterday but not as bad. Is there an overflow? Does anyone have any ideas on why it does this?

Thanks

Spiff

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
If it where my car, i'd add a trans cooler. What type of driving where you doing when the fluid poured out? I've heard of people severely overheating their transmission and at that point the fluid pours out.

There is an overflow / vent tube. I noticed it while looking under my car from the drivers side, it's on the left hand rear of the trans and it's curved like an upside down U, about an inch thick.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Do a search. There was a thread in the last ferw months dealing with the same issue. There's a seal around the dipstick tube (IIRC) that had gone bad. When the fluid gets hot and expands, it was leaking from the seal.
Is that about where it's coming out, or can you tell?

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. Last summer the leaks happened during city driving and the leak last weekend happened after driving 150 miles and pulling into a parking lot.

Spiff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts