Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, my Sable has around 110,000 miles (175kms) and it would appear that the timing belt is making abit of noise. My mechanic seems to think it caused by the timing chain since it may have a bit of play in it. He hasn't heard of any problems with the timimg chain in these engines and told me not to worry about it. Should I not worry about it or do something about it?

Thanks

Spiff

·
Registered
318 Posts
Your Sable has no timing belt. Timing belts are unique components of inline OHC engines. It does, however, have a timing chain; if the timing chain is worn, it could potentially jump a tooth and the pistons could shake hands with the valves.
There are methods of checking the wear in a timing chain, but I don't remember the exact procedure for the Essex engine.

S

·
0 Posts
I think what he means is the "Drive Belts" of the vehicle. What kind of noises are you hearing? A better description would be good.

Sal

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ooops I kinda screwed that up. I meant timing chain, I know the 3.8 have timing chains and not belts. It would appear that it is making a bit of noise (it sounds like a really small knock). My mechanic seems to think it is just a little play in it. Are 3.8's know for timing chain failures?

Spiff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts