Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm having some trouble figuring out why my 3.8 won't come up to operating temp. I've had the engine replaced by a jasper certified shop and it drives like a dream, but the temp gauge in the car sits pretty much on the bottom line in the "normal" range. I also get no heat in the car when its like this, sometimes if I sit at a red light when its warm-ish out it will come up to between the A and L and spit out some decent heat. But as I drive off the temp gauge drops back down and I loose the heat. I thought maybe the shop forgot the thermostat (which I've had happen before with previous cars) but its in there, right part, and right direction. I am just at a loss here...

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Is the thermostat a Motorcraft? I had a bunch of temperature control issues with my '95 3.0 until I quit fitting cheap thermostats and went to Motorcraft. Big improvement.

·
Registered
259 Posts
It's the sensor, my gauge was the same way for years before I replaced the sensor. It's very easy to replace, on top of the engine. Took all of ten minutes to fix. Felt like an idiot for driving it for so long with the temp gauge always at the bottom.
It's not the thermostat. I removed mine after it stuck closed. Takes a few minutes longer to warm up, that's all. But we live in a warm climate.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
It's the sensor, my gauge was the same way for years before I replaced the sensor. It's very easy to replace, on top of the engine. Took all of ten minutes to fix. Felt like an idiot for driving it for so long with the temp gauge always at the bottom.
It's not the thermostat. I removed mine after it stuck closed. Takes a few minutes longer to warm up, that's all. But we live in a warm climate.
Doesn't explain the loss of heat if it were just the sensor

·
Registered
105 Posts
So I'm having some trouble figuring out why my 3.8 won't come up to operating temp. I've had the engine replaced by a jasper certified shop and it drives like a dream, but the temp gauge in the car sits pretty much on the bottom line in the "normal" range. I also get no heat in the car when its like this, sometimes if I sit at a red light when its warm-ish out it will come up to between the A and L and spit out some decent heat. But as I drive off the temp gauge drops back down and I loose the heat. I thought maybe the shop forgot the thermostat (which I've had happen before with previous cars) but its in there, right part, and right direction. I am just at a loss here...
Why don't you have the Jasper certified shop take a look?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts