Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I talked to my "buddy" today about finally getting me a cost estimate for a bench trans rebuild only so we can get this damn car back on the road.
1st I asked him what it would cost with him supplying all parts. $1400 I was like WTF ! LOL!
So then I tally up what I can get them fro including the TC, master solenoid kit, forward clutch cushion steel, OD servo, and new internal wiring harness:

Torque converter ( 74- 2 tab ) $120.00 ( sourced locally. NEW, No core)

Master kit including all rubber seals, gaskets, both bands, steel plates, frictions disks, and the main bushing. All Borg Warner and Transtec parts. ( every thing I need to complete a regular rebuild ) $143.99+$15 s&h

OD servo : $8.00 ( sourced locally )

Forward clutch cushion steel .84 "thickness: $8.00 ( sourced locally)

Master solenoid kit including lock up, EPC, and 3 shift solenoids: $149.95+14.46 s&h

Internal wiring harness: $30.00 ( guesstimate local source )

So we are at Roughly $489.40 in parts leaving a cool $940.60 left over for labor.
8 hours labor ? $910.60 labor on a bench build? Means I took it in and all they need to do is rebuild it on the bench.(I don't think so. He can whip it out in 4 or under. I watch him do it all the time.)
I just have to figure out why he is taxing my ass so bad on this for labor.
I must have forgot his B-day or some thing LOL!
HAHAHA !!!
But for real thats nucking futz....

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What tools are needed ?
Where do I find the guide and I will LOL!

EDIT: Wait'n on you rudedog ... hold'n up progress here....

HA HA HA !! ( I know.. I'm an ass ! :p )

You have a PM rudedog :D

EDIT 2 : Answer da PM mr man ! I wanna know damn it :p

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
That's gotta hurt..................LOL.

You got pm babe.

there are a few tools they say are necessary but I improvised, check out my Rudy is at it again thread. I know it could be better documented, but there are some good pics.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After seeing that mess apart I think I'll just buy the parts cheaper then he can on my own. Believe it or not with the prices he is giving me at his cost it is cheaper for me to buy my own parts and pay him to install the internals.

Then if EVEN ONE MORE THING breaks on this piece of crap you will see a video on you tube of a man blowing his car up with a brick of plastique and sending FOMOCO a giant photo of his fat, nude, hairy, ass.
:D

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
So you're going to spend $1400 on a car that's about 14 years old? Why not just get a new car? For the same amount of money, you could probably get a 3rd gen car or at a stretch, even a 4th gen, but those are typically at least 2-3k.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Ya but then he would probably have to put a tranny in it......

There is a lot to be said for spending money to fix a car that is already paid for.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ya but then he would probably have to put a tranny in it......

There is a lot to be said for spending money to fix a car that is already paid for.
[/b]
/\
TROOOOOOF !!!

If I weren't cash strapped right now due to to many irons in the fire I would definitely buy another vehicle.
But a 15-$2400 used automobile it would not be. It'ed be new used with a warranty, or brand new with a warranty LOL! Screw inheriting someone elses problems I am through with that crap LOL!

Get one from Ford and pay $2500.
[/b]

Looked into that 1st and was like "WTF ? FOR AN ODB1 DAMN NEAR 15 YEAR OLD CAR !?!?!" LOL!
So I'll just have to bite it.
Buy my own kits, and pay the buddy to install. I am fairly certain that I couldn't handle gutting that transmission. If I had an old complete core to practice on or something like that as a 1st time job that would be different LOL!

AMEN Paul.
[/b]

You know when I was asking you " how what & where" do I rebuild I completely forgot that I already have a PDF version of the repair manual I found on line. I even posted a link to it here a while back LOL!
DUH !!!!
Still dont think I'll try it just yet though.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welp' just ordered the master rebuild kit containing all Borg Warner and transtec parts. ( filter, main bushing, all steels, all clutch plates, all rubber seals, and all other seals needed. Guaranteed to fit by the fella over the phone.)
Also just ordered the master solenoid kit by Fitz-all. Its got all 5 in it.
( tcc solenoid, epc solenoid, and 3 shift solenoids guaranteed to fit by the fella over the phone ).
$312.98 shipped for all.

There's two major things needed down. 4 to go !

Now I am checking out torque converter prices. If I can get one cheaper locally then $120.00 new then I'll do that if not then I'll go with my buddies cost of $120.00.
I also need to see about locally sourcing an internal wiring harness, .83 forward clutch cushion steel, and an O.D. servo.
All of them save for the TC and internal harness are under 8 bucks on line and should be locally as well. The internal harness is about $15.00 on line so I am figuring $25-30 locally sourced.
reason being why I am going local for those items is because NO ONE has them in right now at any one place for me. So I would have to further drive my own out of pocket cost up by paying shipping to several different shops around the country for low dollar parts. I have yet to find a supplier that offers shipping under frigg'n $13.00 for a tiny light $8.00 part.
In case you haven't figured it out yet I am a SERIOUS TIGHT ASS !! HAHAHA !! I ain't doing that if'n I don't have to damn it ! :p
Every penny adds up to a dollar you know what I mean.

A couple people ( friends I know here locally ) told me to try a junk yard for the internal harness because it would be a hard part to find but I don't know about that one? Seems like a used one would have the SAME issues as what I am trying to avoid now ya know what I mean ?
Baked insulation from years of use, and brittleness.

Is there another name for the forward clutch cushion steel ?
I asked a couple shops and they acted like they had no idea what I meant but my buddy says that's what its called ?
Have we got it right ? ( He knows what he is talking about and knows how to do it ALL but.. he is the shop owner and very seldom dirties his hands so..... you know what I mean LOL! )

SO, after the trans work is all done I'll need to buy a cat back exhaust, motor mounts ( all 3 ) , my sub frame "insulators" ( just call them bushings for Christ sakes ! ), 2 x 02 sensors, two bolts for the flex pipe / y pipe connection and gasket, install the fuel pump I bought BRAND NEW WITH SENDING UNIT for $60.00 shipped ( SIXTY SHIPPED I SAID !! :D ).

I can get the exhaust for $150 or so shipped, the mounts for another $150 or so shipped, and the bushings I can either buy locally from the dealer for $$, order them off the net for half the cost, OR buy the aluminum type for $120 or there abouts shipped from the dude in NY who's been making them all this time.

Now... after all this work is completed you watch.. the engine will blow the hell up !!! HA HA HA HA !!
I am replacing the rad and fan shroud to btw. The fan shroud bolt mounts (?) on the rad slip all the way around when trying to loosen them. I can get a new aluminum rad for $130 shipped and a used fan shroud with fan for $40 from the JY. ( cracked mine real good getting the damn thing off the rad so I could get to the mount bolt, and the o2 sensor, as well as for room to swing the motor while it's on the support beam.)
Found that some one had hit some thing HARD dead nuts center of the core support from underneath where the rad sits too.
Its bent upwards almost perfectly in a slight crescent shape. When I unbolted the rad it just rocked back and forth about an inch ! LOL!
I figure I have a fix for that though. Another buddy has a frame shop LOL!
All I need to do it tie it down in two spots and crank a little on a couple load binders till' she's straight. Said he'd let me do it at his place once the trans and all that **** is done and this heap of crap is rolling under her own power again. No need to disconnect the hoses, just the bolts to the core support and gently prop it up whil I crank the bent section down.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
k so tax title and a slap on the ass out the door and this thing is going to cost me about $767 for the complete job with me buying half the parts and installing. My buddy came DRASTICALLY down on the labor LOL! He's buying the TC, internal harness, forward clutch cushion steel, and OD servo.

He said he like watching me squirm.
I just looked at him and said.. *YOU FACKER YOU !* LOL!
I am helping him shim in a 390FE in an old CJ this spring so I'll make it up LOL!

May still seem costly to you when add up what I have bought but its still about $1,000 cheaper then AAMCO, BANCO, or who evers trans mission service would do it LOL!
They all wantted f-ing 1800- TWENTY FOUR HUNDRED ( that's right ! some jack ass wanted $2400 to REBUILD MY transmission AND only give me a 6 month warranty LOL ! )

1 - 14 of 14 Posts