Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 91 Taurus slips into neutral after I come to a stop,it revs the engine.
If the tranny isnt too warm I can turn of the ignition and start the car again it will be in gear again???????
Just changed the oil and filter today and will see if it helps but I would like any other suggestions if available
Thanks
Rob

·
Registered
549 Posts
Sounds like a cracked forward clutch piston, common problem in '91 and surrounding years. Prepare to get out your wallet, that tranny is gonna need to come out of the car for a rebuild.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yep, the steel piston was a late '91 (I think) mod/update. Also, thats around the time the AXOD switched to the AXODE. Lots of mods & updates to the AXOD/AXODEs of that period.

Lots of folks hollerin 'bout them trannys lately... seems like.

Gotta change the fluid & filter @ 25,000 max (synthetic ATF - 60~75K) and run a heavy duty trans fluid cooler.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did an oil/filter change yesterday , but I noticed it is only doing it(slip) when in overdrive gear.leave it in drive I have no problems at all?
any sugestions there?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'd try just using drive (not OD) for a week or two and then.... change the fluid and filter again. The new fluid you got in there now will (maybe) clean it out some.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I'm fromAustralia.
My Taurus Ghia was built in 1996 and first registered in 1997.
It was a 3L luxury model.
It has 120000Km already.
It was serviced regularly.

Recently my transmission has the following problem:-
When the car slowed down to nearly 0km/h, the auto transmission changed to neutral most of the time , no matter how I rev the engine, the car would not go. I have to shift the car to P, then to D again in order to get it going.

If I leave the overdrive off all the time, the problem disappeared.

My dilemma was that the trade in value is approx AUS$ 5000 if in good condition and it cost approx AUS$ 4000 to 4500 to fix the transmission at the local dealer.

If I drive with Overdrive off only, do you think it would last another year?

If I do get it repaired, what do I need to do regularly to prevent similar problem happen again?

X

·
0 Posts
In my opinion for both of you, I'd get rid of those cars asap. Get whatever you can right now, before you have to spend money on a transmission repair. The cars are just going to get worse and worse until the trans fail.

·
Registered
38 Posts
This is why I changed out the fluid on my new 99 and put in a cooler. Its got 69k so hopefully I got it in time. So far no troubles and it shifts much smoother. Mine is a 99 and uses the Mercon V/synthetic stuff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts